Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Sound deadening on floor. Removal., Any tips would be helpful.
Seelenfan
post Mar 24 2017, 08:49 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,836
Region Association: Southwest Region

Sound deadening on the floor. Anyone have good tips for removing the tar like sound deadening? This is an Arizona car, which means the tar has baked on for 40 years.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Calwaterbear
post Mar 26 2017, 01:11 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,123
Region Association: Central California

OK guys, I just got done trying this. The video was a bit short on details, I used 9 lbs of dry ice, and 1 quart of 70% isopropyl alcohol. I crushed up the ice using the head of a hammer. made the slush, just like in the video.

Put it in one of the 4 sections of the floor panel. after letting it sit for 5 minutes, went in with a putty knife. Pretty soon after that, started using a hammer on the putty knife. long story short, it was pretty much the same thing using the dry ice technique, as just brute forcing the other side with just a putty knife and a hammer.

Given it cost me 20 bucks for materials, and it didn't save any time or effort - for me and my 72 - it was a bust. The issue seems to be that the material is just pretty much tar at this point, and it really adheres to the metal. anywhere there was a crack in the liner, you could count on finding rust underneath that spot.

Back to the heatgun. What a disappointment!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 10:38 AM