Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Porsche shop near Virginia beach?, brothers 04 Cayenne has the water pipe issue
PeeGreen 914
post Jul 28 2017, 11:27 AM
Post #1

Just when you think you're done...wait, there is more..lol

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,884
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Hey guys,

Anyone on here know a good independent shop for my brother to take his cayenne? He is stationed in Virginia Beach and has been bleeding his money to the local dealer. I'd rather he find a good, trustworthy independent.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Tom_T
post Jul 28 2017, 11:42 AM
Post #2

TMI....

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

I don't know a P-indy there, but unfortunately he'll still have to pay exorbitant Porsche parts prices even at the Indy, but Suncoast Porsche (FL) & Sunset Porsche (OR) both have good discounted parts websites where he may be able to have the indy save some coin.

Also a heads-up if he has any of the Cay V8's 2011-12, then he should immediately have the dealer check it for the Variocam Adjuster defective bolt failure recall AH08 - which can cause loss of brakes/steering/fuel pump & possibly sieze or destroy a $35K motor.

If his is an 11-12 V8 (S, GTS, Turbo, TurboS, etc.) - then he can go to this link & find the way to check the cam adjuster part no. & what the bolt looks like at the 6speedonline link below:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/cayenne...cs-failure.html
(Note that the people on this thread were instrumental in getting NTSB to force a USA recall, as well as documenting failures, & help identifying whether your have the defective bolts/adjuster.)

Also, if his is the 2003-06 era 955's then he's got to watch out for the plastic coolant pipes & Cardan Shaft mid-bearing/support (driveshaft) problems if not previously repaired; & the 2008-10 (no 2007s) 957 has the Cardan Shaft + Plastic fittings into the front "horseshoe" coolant distributor & a plastic coolant return line in the Vee (they changed to metal pipes from the 955 problem, but left that plastic J-pipe & faulty adhesive fittings in the 957s).

He can find good info on thses & other issues on 6speedonline & at Rennlist's Cayenne sections, & that may be a better place to ask for a good P-Indy with Cayenne expertise in V.Beach.

NTSB Recall:
https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls?nhtsaId=17V368#recalls360

If it comes up with the p/n xxx.21 - then I would strongly advise NOT driving it at all, until Porsche does the AH08, & have them pay for the tow/flatbed to the dealer!

Also note, that despite Porsche not listing the 2012 Cay's on the recall, there are many 12's with the defective part, & despite Porsche downplaying the problem as only "stalling' - it's far worse & more dangerous that that! Now it's become a Variocam-gate cover-up since 2012 or earlier! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

PS - Thank your Bro for his service! Navy or Marine I presume, being where he's stationed.

PSS - I know more than I wish I did about this issue, cuz we've been looking for a 2008-10 957 or 2011-14 958 Cayenne S, & it scuttled several 2011-12's FS over the past year for us, while Porsche was playing the denial game!

Also, if he has the 2004-06 955 Cay V8 then he'll need to take care of the plastic coolant pipes & cardan shaft (driveshaft) center bearing/support issues (unless already done); or if the 2008-10 (no 2007s) 957 V8s it has the cardan shaft & coolant pipe issues with a plastic "J-pipe" in the "valley" + faulty adhesive fittings to the front "horseshoe" coolant distributor (they did change the main coolant pipes to metal in 08).

He can read more about those & other Cayenne Quirks at the 6speedonline & Rennlist Cay sections, & those would be better places to ask for referrals to a V.Beach P-Indy shop which is good with Cayennes.

Good Luck! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd June 2024 - 01:26 AM