Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> silicone hydraulic fluid, why not DOT5 silicone?
worn
post Jul 29 2017, 10:57 AM
Post #1

can't remember

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,152
Region Association: Upper MidWest

We run silicone brake fluid in our LBCs (Little British Cars) and this is widely accepted among that crowd. This week I am putting new front wheel cylinders in the 47 Dodge P.U. truck cause we don't run it enough and they pitted.

So why not use the silicone fluid in a 914? Yes, there is a slight compression you can feel in the pedal, but in my TR6 you can hardly feel it. I now have enough toys so that routine maintenance is a pretty big chore. Keeping up with batteries and tires is bad enough. Yes, I know that you should bleed out the old fluid, but frankly I doubt that would have helped me with the truck. The problem was the lack of movement of the seals over the cylinder. My time flies!

So - what do you think?

Thanks,
Warren
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
GregAmy
post Jul 30 2017, 09:50 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,565
Region Association: North East States

DOT 4 is fine for any applications, even racing. And in my experience DOT 5 creates a funky pedal, and that was after running multiple cans through the system. And it costs more.

There's just no value in DOT 5. I run ATE Blue (while I still have some) and Amber/Gold in everything, street and race.
+Quote Post
worn
post Jul 31 2017, 10:14 AM
Post #3

can't remember

Member No.: 13,152
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(GregAmy @ Jul 30 2017, 07:50 AM) *

DOT 4 is fine for any applications, even racing. And in my experience DOT 5 creates a funky pedal, and that was after running multiple cans through the system. And it costs more.

There's just no value in DOT 5. I run ATE Blue (while I still have some) and Amber/Gold in everything, street and race.

The value that the British crowd sees is reduced damage due to humidity in the fluid, a process that starts the moment you open the bottle. I agree that it isn't suitable for racing. With six toy cars I found I couldn't do big restoration and conversion and keep track of bleeding the brakes on time. Also, I am old with a bad back. Unfortunately that 47 Dodge truck is in truth hard to drive, so it sort of languished. That thing is so hard to steer and stop I wouldn't consider experimenting with silicone. On the other hand my TR6 with silicone stops quite a bit better than my 914 with DOT 4 - but then the TR has a vacuum booster.

I am not trying to talk anyone into this, but I am a scientist, so I want the reasons people have, including subjective ones, and in Wisconsin we are required to Sift and Winnow the ideas. Sometimes.

Thanks to all who responded.
+Quote Post
McMark
post Jul 31 2017, 11:46 AM
Post #4

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

QUOTE(worn @ Jul 31 2017, 12:14 PM) *
The value that the British crowd sees is reduced damage due to humidity in the fluid, a process that starts the moment you open the bottle.

Starts the moment you open the bottle and takes 30-40 years to really do damage to the system? Okay, maybe that's overstated, but even at 10 years the moisture in the brake system isn't a significant issue on a properly maintained brake system.

Use whatever you want (obviously), there's nothing wrong with DOT5 if you like it. But as far as "Why don't P-car people use DOT5?" You've seen why. For most of us, the DOT4 satisfies our needs better than DOT5. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd June 2024 - 01:41 AM