Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> EBrake light keeps blinking
Rsjg911
post Oct 8 2017, 07:03 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,105
Region Association: South East States

Took the 914 out for a long overdue spin today and when I released the ebrake the red light in the combo gauge continued to blink. I thought I would ask the brain trust here before making any mistakes. Stuck switch? I tried setting and releasing the ebrake several times but no luck. The brake does disengage but the light continues to blink as though it is still set.
Thanks in advance for your suggestions as to how to repair. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Ron
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Rob-O
post Oct 9 2017, 06:06 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,419
Region Association: Southwest Region

I think I’d try the easy path first. Check the handbrake switch. It is the same as the door switches that activate the interior light. Handbrake switch is located where the handbrake rests when it is disengaged, on the crossmember that runs across the interior cabin floor. It has one wire that runs to it for power. It is screwed to the metal cross member and uses the cross member for ground. Check that the wire is making contact and not corroded or the wire broken. Then check the ground. Clean it up if rusted and or replace the screw. You can pull the switch easily and check it’s operation. It’s a simple switch with a small spring on it. They don’t typically go bad but the pin can get stuck if it’s worn.

Easier to eliminate the switch as the issue than jacking up the car and climbing underneath only to discover it was the handbrake switch to begin with. If it’s not the handbrake switch, then you can move on to the reset of the master cylinder switch (and the reason why the MC switch needed to be reset).
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th June 2024 - 04:01 AM