Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Rear Valance....has anyone started making reproductions in metal?
billh1963
post Apr 9 2018, 12:26 PM
Post #1

Car Hoarder!

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,871
Region Association: South East States

I thought restoration design was going to start producing them. I looked on their website and don't see any.

Not enough demand to make new ones?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
mepstein
post Apr 9 2018, 12:43 PM
Post #2

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(billh1963 @ Apr 9 2018, 02:26 PM) *

I thought restoration design was going to start producing them. I looked on their website and don't see any.

If they were going to make one, I would think it would be for a six.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Apr 9 2018, 02:03 PM
Post #3

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 9 2018, 10:43 AM) *

So they'd make just the early snowplow for the -6 - all 2000 or less still around, & ignore the 113,000 /4's (less losses over the decades)!!?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Well that doesn't make good business sense!

And even the -6 owners hated the "snowplows" back in the day, for the obvious reason that the name implies - it was a snow/mud/gunk catcher!
... which was why Porsche redesigned it in late 71 for 72 MY!

Bill -

IIRC - before RD went to the frozen north - they used to make repro front & rear steel valances - along with their repro steel rocker panels, back in the day, but maybe only for the shorty/notched /4 at the rear.

I recall seeing them in the 1970-80's parts manuals, including AA's - since AA set up the partnership/JV with the prior RD owner in MI, & George had paid for all of the tooling in order to have the parts for AA - but then the prior owner stopped paying or something, went BK, & the current RD owner bought all the tooling & equipment out of BK.

The cheaper FG repro valances & rockers probably sold better than the steel ones in the 1980-90's> - since we 914ers tended to be more cost conscious then (aka "Cheap"!) - so that may have been their downfall.

So I'd think that RD should have the old F & R steel valance tooling today - if they wanted to start making them again.

Bill - Also try George at AA to see if he still has some?
.... or he may know a source.

Also try Rich Bontempi at HPH in Redwood City CA, as he may also have some nice used ones in his 400+ 914 warehouse (maybe NOS?);
.... &/or maybe Bruce Stone/bdstone on here for nice used ones.

I think that I bought George's last set of NOS late factory F & R steel valances from him a few years back.

Cheers! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Apr 9 2018, 02:52 PM
Post #4

Car Hoarder!

Member No.: 12,871
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Apr 9 2018, 04:03 PM) *

So they'd make just the early snowplow for the -6 - all 2000 or less still around, & ignore the 113,000 /4's (less losses over the decades)!!?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

And even the -6 owners hated the "snowplows" back in the day, for the obvious reason that the name implies - it was a snow/mud/gunk catcher!

Bill -

IIRC - before RD went to the frozen north - they used to make repro front & rear steel valances - along with their repro steel rocker panels, back in the day, but maybe only for the shorty/notched /4 at the rear.

I recall seeing them in the 1970-80's parts manuals, including AA's - since AA set up the partnership/JV with the prior RD owner in MI, & George had paid for all of the tooling in order to have the parts for AA - but then the prior owner stopped paying or something, went BK, & the current RD owner bought all the tooling & equipment out of BK.

The cheaper FG repro valances & rockers probably sold better than the steel ones in the 1980-90's> - since we 914ers tended to be more cost conscious then (aka "Cheap"!) - so that may have been their downfall.

So I'd think that RD should have the old F & R steel valance tooling today - if they wanted to start making them again.

Also try Rich Bontempi at HPH in Redwood City CA, as he may also have some nice used ones in his 400+ 914 warehouse (maybe NOS?);

I think that I bought George's last set of NOS late factory F & R steel valances from him a few years back.

Tom
///////

Thanks, Tom. I'm not desperate for one. However, one of my cars has one that isn't as straight as I would like and thought I would just buy a new repro.

Guess I'll need to place a WTB ad. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Apr 9 2018, 05:53 PM
Post #5

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(billh1963 @ Apr 9 2018, 04:52 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Apr 9 2018, 04:03 PM) *

Bill -

Tom
///////

Thanks, Tom. I'm not desperate for one. However, one of my cars has one that isn't as straight as I would like and thought I would just buy a new repro.

Guess I'll need to place a WTB ad. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

I have a couple. If I can find a decent one, it’s yours for shipping.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 01:56 PM