Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Photo op suggestions for cross country road trip, Looking for cool places to take 914 pictures along the way.
Matty900
post Aug 21 2018, 09:56 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,454
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

As many of you know I like taking pictures of 914's. I will add some of them to this thread. I am getting ready to make a very long cross-country trip so I can attend Red Rocks in Colorado and Okteenerfest in Georgia. I am looking for some scenic locations to take car pictures and would love meeting with others along the way. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
bbrock
post Aug 22 2018, 08:50 AM
Post #2

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Some ideas for the lesser known or appreciated parts of the trip.

Along the I-70 route, the Flint Hills of KS between Junction City and Topeka are quite scenic tallgrass prairie and you will be traveling at one of the best times when the grasses have turned rusty red. There is a scenic overlook of Konza Prairie just a few miles south of I-70 on Hwy 177 toward Manhattan that, IIRC provides a place to park with nice tallgrass prairie in the background, but there are also opportunities off other exits of I-70. If you have extra time to burn, dropping south at Junction City to follow Hwy 4 to Topeka takes you into even better scenery and photo ops of old limestone houses. Also, lots of nice limestone houses that were officer's quarters at the historic part of Ft. Riley near Junction City, including the house George Custer lived in. There will likely be some corn harvesting going on in the endless ag fields if you like the classic Agriculture photo ops. +1 on Ft. Leavenworth. It also has probably the best mature cottonwood and elm deciduous forest left in the state.

On the I-80 option, Scott's Bluff and Chimney Rock in NE have opportunities for photographs with iconic landmarks. The Loess Hills along the Missouri River between NE and IA are scenic too.

Of course, the less traveled 2-lanes offer the greatest surprises if you aren't in a rush.

Enjoy the trip!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th June 2024 - 05:17 PM