Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 1973 914 1.7L Shopping, Help Me Please
RangerRhett
post Nov 20 2004, 11:24 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,620

Hey all...
If I was going to look for a 914. Say one for sale in my area...oh and I don't know...maybe it is a 1973 1.7L...

What can I do to look like I know what I am talking about as far as interior quality, exterior rust (if there is any) and its value...

The ad describes it as in good condition and it is in running condition...

asking $3000.00 This seems high for a 1.7L....

Please Help or point me in the right direction....

My father's car of old

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Rhodes71/914
post Nov 20 2004, 03:34 PM
Post #2

Glacier

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,482

$3000 does seem a bit high for a 1.7, could be in near perfect condition and rust freee (ya right).

If you are going to look at this car you might as well know a little bit.

Well I'm no expert but since nobody has given any advice on what to actually look for I'll my .02 in for ya.

Definitely look under the battery tray, if you have done any reading here you will know that this is one of the major trouble spots due to water running on battery and spreading battery acid down under the battery tray. This can lead to issues if it is bad. Poke the metal under there with a screw driver, if the owner will let you.

If at all possible remove the rocker panels and look at the longs, these are under the doors and run the length of the middle of the car. If you see rust poke at it with a screw driver.

If either of those spots is bad walk away at that price.

I would also recomend taking your time. If you are willing to spend $3000.00 you should be able to find a decent car. Watch the classifieds here.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 04:42 PM