Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> another rear 5-lug topic
GrayMatter
post Mar 3 2019, 07:07 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,570

I'm back and making progress again! =)

So after reading countless threads ranging from a few years old to almost 20 years old and so many different recommended parts (some NLA or extremely expensive or rare now at this point) and being more confused now than ever, I'm looking for an updated recommendation. I'm not concerned about loss of stock e-brake or having to install 911 e-brake or other solutions.

Thanks to @michael7810 and @ValcoOscar for transport, I now have a functional 914 tail shifter trans in my car. Thanks to another friend, I also have a complete '86 911 front end in my car as well. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) And before anyone asks, my 5-lug and big brake upgrades are primarily for aesthetic purposes.

I'm hoping for my pie in the sky dream that I can find something that I can use with my 914 transmission while I save for a 915 or better trans if that's possible.

Is there any chance of readily available parts (911,944,etc?) that can use the Swayaway 911/930 custom axles and not require any custom machining to upgrade to 5 lug rear end with my existing 914 trans and allow easy transition to a 915 or newer trans down the road?

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/all914.com-4570-1551661674.1.jpg)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
mepstein
post Mar 3 2019, 07:16 PM
Post #2

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

If you have a big six engine, 220hp +, a 915 becomes a consideration but not a must have. If you have a 4 cylinder engine or anything less than a 200hp six, the 915 trans isn't just a $10K waste of money it will actually underperform your current trans. What you probably want is a 914 side shifter trans.

*If there is a 3.6 hiding in that car, then the 915 is appropriate but to do it right, it's usually around 7-10K.

Is the white car yours? Just wondering since it's already 5 lug.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
GrayMatter
post Mar 3 2019, 08:44 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 3 2019, 06:16 PM) *

If you have a big six engine, 220hp +, a 915 becomes a consideration but not a must have. If you have a 4 cylinder engine or anything less than a 200hp six, the 915 trans isn't just a $10K waste of money it will actually underperform your current trans. What you probably want is a 914 side shifter trans.

*If there is a 3.6 hiding in that car, then the 915 is appropriate but to do it right, it's usually around 7-10K.

I can accept that price to do it right with the 915, but gotta plan to do it in stages if possible. It's not a Porsche engine hiding in there... It's not even a reciprocating engine... It's a 13b Rotary that I have built from the ground up. Part of the reason why this project has taken so long is because I've been trying to do it right which unfortunately can be quite expensive.

Yup, that is my car (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif), but only the front has been converted to 5-lug at this point. The rest is a really amazing photoshop job done by a close friend.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Mar 3 2019, 08:50 PM
Post #4

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(GrayMatter @ Mar 3 2019, 09:44 PM) *

I can accept that price to do it right with the 915, but gotta plan to do it in stages if possible. It's not a Porsche engine hiding in there... It's not even a reciprocating engine... It's a 13b Rotary that I have built from the ground up. Part of the reason why this project has taken so long is because I've been trying to do it right which unfortunately can be quite expensive.

Yup, that is my car (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif), but only the front has been converted to 5-lug at this point. The rest is a really amazing photoshop job done by a close friend.

OK, I got it now. Is there any way you could get KEP to make you an adaptor to use a Suby trans instead of the 915. Same strength but cost hundreds instead of thousands.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
GrayMatter
post Mar 3 2019, 08:58 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 3 2019, 07:50 PM) *

OK, I got it now. Is there any way you could get KEP to make you an adaptor to use a Suby trans instead of the 915. Same strength but cost hundreds instead of thousands.

Last time I talked to them, they were working on it (I have their adapter in there now). I'll have to research more on whats involved with the driveshafts for that but that may be easier than the 915 for my application.
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th June 2024 - 06:25 AM