Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: another rear 5-lug topic
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GrayMatter
I'm back and making progress again! =)

So after reading countless threads ranging from a few years old to almost 20 years old and so many different recommended parts (some NLA or extremely expensive or rare now at this point) and being more confused now than ever, I'm looking for an updated recommendation. I'm not concerned about loss of stock e-brake or having to install 911 e-brake or other solutions.

Thanks to @michael7810 and @ValcoOscar for transport, I now have a functional 914 tail shifter trans in my car. Thanks to another friend, I also have a complete '86 911 front end in my car as well. biggrin.gif And before anyone asks, my 5-lug and big brake upgrades are primarily for aesthetic purposes.

I'm hoping for my pie in the sky dream that I can find something that I can use with my 914 transmission while I save for a 915 or better trans if that's possible.

Is there any chance of readily available parts (911,944,etc?) that can use the Swayaway 911/930 custom axles and not require any custom machining to upgrade to 5 lug rear end with my existing 914 trans and allow easy transition to a 915 or newer trans down the road?

IPB Image
mepstein
If you have a big six engine, 220hp +, a 915 becomes a consideration but not a must have. If you have a 4 cylinder engine or anything less than a 200hp six, the 915 trans isn't just a $10K waste of money it will actually underperform your current trans. What you probably want is a 914 side shifter trans.

*If there is a 3.6 hiding in that car, then the 915 is appropriate but to do it right, it's usually around 7-10K.

Is the white car yours? Just wondering since it's already 5 lug.
914Sixer
You cannot use 911 axles because they are too short. You can use what is in the Classic section about axle upgrades. 911 SC rear hubs are on Ebay right now for $125 (bargain) and add 5mm spacer to use stock rear bearing. Find some 911SC 100mm 6 bolt stubs and axle shafts of your choice (modified stock per article or full floating aftermarket). For CV's you can use 944's (33 spline) or 911 SC's (28 spline IF you can find them). You will need 915 coarse spline axle flanges for the 901 transmission.
Mitox
How about this kit from PMS. It has an adapter, but it looks like the kit can be used with a 915 later. I’m considering it, but I hate the price.

Click to view attachment
GrayMatter
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 3 2019, 06:16 PM) *

If you have a big six engine, 220hp +, a 915 becomes a consideration but not a must have. If you have a 4 cylinder engine or anything less than a 200hp six, the 915 trans isn't just a $10K waste of money it will actually underperform your current trans. What you probably want is a 914 side shifter trans.

*If there is a 3.6 hiding in that car, then the 915 is appropriate but to do it right, it's usually around 7-10K.

I can accept that price to do it right with the 915, but gotta plan to do it in stages if possible. It's not a Porsche engine hiding in there... It's not even a reciprocating engine... It's a 13b Rotary that I have built from the ground up. Part of the reason why this project has taken so long is because I've been trying to do it right which unfortunately can be quite expensive.

Yup, that is my car smile.gif, but only the front has been converted to 5-lug at this point. The rest is a really amazing photoshop job done by a close friend.
mepstein
QUOTE(GrayMatter @ Mar 3 2019, 09:44 PM) *

I can accept that price to do it right with the 915, but gotta plan to do it in stages if possible. It's not a Porsche engine hiding in there... It's not even a reciprocating engine... It's a 13b Rotary that I have built from the ground up. Part of the reason why this project has taken so long is because I've been trying to do it right which unfortunately can be quite expensive.

Yup, that is my car smile.gif, but only the front has been converted to 5-lug at this point. The rest is a really amazing photoshop job done by a close friend.

OK, I got it now. Is there any way you could get KEP to make you an adaptor to use a Suby trans instead of the 915. Same strength but cost hundreds instead of thousands.
GrayMatter
QUOTE(Mitox @ Mar 3 2019, 06:46 PM) *

How about this kit from PMS. It has an adapter, but it looks like the kit can be used with a 915 later. I’m considering it, but I hate the price.

Thanks! Didn't see that on their site earlier. Yeah, that price is a bit painful but their flange adapters are an interesting thought. Significantly cheaper than what the coarse splined trans output flanges are going for. hmmm...
GrayMatter
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 3 2019, 07:50 PM) *

OK, I got it now. Is there any way you could get KEP to make you an adaptor to use a Suby trans instead of the 915. Same strength but cost hundreds instead of thousands.

Last time I talked to them, they were working on it (I have their adapter in there now). I'll have to research more on whats involved with the driveshafts for that but that may be easier than the 915 for my application.
mepstein
QUOTE(GrayMatter @ Mar 3 2019, 09:58 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 3 2019, 07:50 PM) *

Last time I talked to them, they were working on it (I have their adapter in there now). I'll have to research more on whats involved with the driveshafts for that but that may be easier than the 915 for my application.

A 915 is a tailshifter in a 914 but doesn't use the same mechanism as a 914 tailshifter trans. If you could use a Suby trans, there are already on the shelf parts for the axle swap and a cableshifter. All very reasonably priced. It's easy to find a good running suby trans for a couple hundred but a core 915 goes for $1,500-2K, usually needs a $3K rebuild and needs a $3K WEVO kit to work in a 914 then $500-1K of shifter and shift rod parts. Since you will need an adaptor to the engine regardless of your trans choice, I would seriously consider the Suby.
And if you blow up the suby trans, another is just a couple hundred and a parts yard away.
Good luck with the project.
John
What I did to run stock 911 Carrera axles in the rear of my track car is I took some CV Joint Gaskets to a machine shop that did water-jet and had them cut me out some spacers that are exactly like the CV Joint Gaskets, then used extra long 10mm CV joint bolts. It bolts directly to the 915 output flanges of the 915 Box in the car and since the outer ends have the integral stub shaft, the 914-6 stub shafts went away. The drawback as I see it is the one-time-use axle nuts. I believe that I'm using the hub centric outer 5-lug hubs, so I had to add a 5mm thick washer in order to use the stock 914 rear wheel bearings.

Click to view attachment
ablesnead
If your 13b is NA then the side shift 901 is the better trans choice...it is rated well within the hp and especially the torque numbers the 13b at maximum streetport can do...so its cheaper ..easier ..lighter ...robs less drivetrain hp...and your stock axles will serve well also....Its your dream and I get that , but some imagined improvements aren't.....
GrayMatter
Thanks all for the info.

So forgetting the transmission discussion for now, given the current availability of parts and prices, If I just drill and stud my existing hubs, is there a vented rotor option that will bolt on to balance out my overkill front brakes?
mepstein
PMB Performance does a V caliper kit ( I think that’s what it’s called) that spaces out a stock rear caliper with longer bolts and spacers. I didn’t see it in their catalog but give them a call. Even if it’s not in stock they can probably make up a kit or a set of calipers for you. They can tell you which rotor to use.

The next step would be to get M calipers, a 911 e- brake and add on tangerine racing’s cable adaptor set.

Or buy my 914-6GT calipers for $1,800.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.