Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> odometer stops at 99500 exactly, 1974 914 1.8
brcacti
post Sep 3 2019, 07:48 PM
Post #1

1974 914 1.8

Group: Members
Member No.: 23,302
Region Association: Southwest Region

Hello, do you think it is broke or do I need to start dismantling the dash to take out the odometer to inspect it, reset it?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
914forme
post Sep 5 2019, 03:06 PM
Post #2

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,388
Region Association: None

And Kent you got lucky, most I have had the pleasure of working on fell apart in my pliers or even worse were found in the bottom of the case.

New ones are made out of a different plastic (I think nylon), it will not get brittle with age that was accelerated by the lubricant used on the gears.

Hints,
tape the gears with a tape that does not leave a residue in the position you want them to stay in. Once you drop the shaft out, they can spin free, and are a pain to get back in proper orientation.

I have also been know to use another shaft to push the one out to the gears, and then when done you press the new one back into place pushing the support shaft out of place.

The ends of the shafts are swaged, so you have to make one side round again, then figure out a way to hold it in place. I have a lathe, so simple groove cut in shaft, appropriate clip mounted on the end of the shaft.

You can also re swaged the ends if wanted, shaft is not super hard, pick the tool carefully. I have done it both ways, and swaging is a delicate procedure on that tiny shaft. I have had a few times I got a bit aggressive and lopped the end of the shaft off. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th June 2024 - 08:16 PM