Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Type IV oil pump pin movement, Variation on 10 pumps
bdstone914
post Sep 30 2019, 08:23 PM
Post #1

bdstone914

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,319

Notice the wide range of the depth above or below the pump surface.

I know @jakeraby pointed this out long ago but is there an easy fix or just use new pumps?
These are cores that are getting reworked.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Superhawk996
post Oct 1 2019, 04:32 AM
Post #2

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

For me, I've decided I'd rather use a Type 4 pump.

The proper solution is to pin the shaft to the pump housing which involves very basic machine work.

So it sort of depends on the definition of what is an easy fix. Can it be done basic hand tools and a drill easily (<1hr) - no.

Can it be pinned easily on a vertical mill or by a machine shop in an hour or so. Yes.

In my case, the problem has been finding a single good pump. I've accumulated 5 to make two good ones and maybe a 3rd by doing some basic machine work that some would call blueprinting but I won't call it that since I don't have a print that is known that I'm working to.

I also intend to make a basic test fixture so that I can test & verify pump performance before it goes back into an engine.

I saw someone on classifieds looking for lots of cores to rebuild. I assume someone is looking to get in the business or rebuilding these. Not me, but, I say Hooray. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) Would be nice to have a viable option to find rebuilt pumps with a properly pinned shaft at a reasonable price below the insane cost of new parts and even then, the housing which is a key piece is NLA.

Photo in the top left corner looks like one I received, shaft way too deep. In my case, it turned out to be what I believe was a type 1 gear set in a Type 4 housing. Factory error or previous owner just making do? I don't know but it clearly didn't match any of my other pump shaft lengths.
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th June 2024 - 01:18 AM