Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Cylinders & Pistons
Sycolyst
post Dec 18 2020, 06:45 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 23,312
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Greetings all,

I have a 1975 2.0L motor that I'm rebuilding for my 74. The engine code is a GC. I am wanting to bump the motor to a 2056 (96x71) and have been researching cylinder and pistons kits. These kits range anywhere from $3200 to $350. My goal is to create a dependable solid running 914, not a race car or some hopped up timebomb that melts down in 10,000 miles. The engine will be fit with duel Weber 40 IDF's. Yes, I will be changing the camshaft to account for the Webers. So,....what recommendations should I consider for the purchase of these cylinders/pistons?

Nickie$ (stupid money)
Cast / forged
Hypereutectic
Biral liner
Stroker
JE Forged

Looking for your recommendations to help me determine the best value for this build.

Thanks in advance,
JWB

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Montreal914
post Dec 18 2020, 10:58 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 12,023
Region Association: Southern California

For pistons, Keith Black with Hastings rings is widely used for this setup. I have a set in my engine and have been happy. Ring gap needs to be set obviously.

Cylinders, OEM German ones bored out is definitely a nice option if you can find a place that will bore them to spec to match the KB pistons.

Tolerancing issues have been reported in the past on the AA sets. You should measure every component when you rebuild anyway as a good practice. I hear Aicooled.net does a good job in checking the components they are selling but haven't bought from them. They have the AA line of product. Might be something to check with them as far as what QC is done.

European Motorwerks in Hawthorn (Jorge) can help you out. He's a reputable aircooled VW shop. I got my engine block and heads reworked there and got most of my parts for my build from them. The only thing I wasn't completely pleased with were the cylinders I got from them. The spacing between the upper cooling fins is not the as the OEM ones and they are not tapered. I have no data on the effect as I am not an expert, but I will go with OEMs bored out when I open the engine again.

Good luck with your build! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Dec 18 2020, 06:10 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,877
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Dec 18 2020, 11:58 AM) *

For pistons, Keith Black with Hastings rings is widely used for this setup. I have a set in my engine and have been happy. Ring gap needs to be set obviously.

Cylinders, OEM German ones bored out is definitely a nice option if you can find a place that will bore them to spec to match the KB pistons.

Tolerancing issues have been reported in the past on the AA sets. You should measure every component when you rebuild anyway as a good practice. I hear Aicooled.net does a good job in checking the components they are selling but haven't bought from them. They have the AA line of product. Might be something to check with them as far as what QC is done.

European Motorwerks in Hawthorn (Jorge) can help you out. He's a reputable aircooled VW shop. I got my engine block and heads reworked there and got most of my parts for my build from them. The only thing I wasn't completely pleased with were the cylinders I got from them. The spacing between the upper cooling fins is not the as the OEM ones and they are not tapered. I have no data on the effect as I am not an expert, but I will go with OEMs bored out when I open the engine again.

Good luck with your build! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

These days I am older and have a few shekels to float my hobby/illness. Cannot for the life of me can see an investment of $3+K in Nickies? Who would do this?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 02:22 PM