Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> I found a 911 front suspension, now what? newbee question
Thierry
post Feb 8 2021, 09:32 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,379
Region Association: Europe

Hi,

I recently bought a nice '76 2.0 that I would like to give some extra goodies. One of the projects I'm looking at is doing a 4-5 lug conversion. I read most of the articles describing the process of doing so and I think the route with a 911 front suspension is the way to go.

So I found these parts of a (supposedly) 3.2 911 online but then the questions start popping up. The missing parts are break callipers and master cylinder. As I understand 3.2 breaks also use a break booster. Is that also needed or would a 19mm master cylinder also work fine? What breaks should I search for? What will work and is doable for a newbee 914 fan?

Anyway, thanks in advance for helping my with my shopping list.

Thierry

Attached Image

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
horizontally-opposed
post Feb 9 2021, 10:17 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,058
Region Association: None

QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ Feb 9 2021, 07:21 AM) *

…if going with boxster fronts, you should have boxster rears to balance out the equation. If going with S or A up front you should have Ms or 914-6 rears... balance your setup

This isn't said often enough.

So many cars get an upgrade up front and make do with whatever they had in the rear, or something "close enough."

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Feb 9 2021, 10:14 AM) *

Pedal feel is intertwined with hydraulic displacment at the master cylinder vs. the displacment requirements of calipers. It has little to do with "bigger" brakes whatever that term may refer to (size of calipers, size of rotors, or both).

Pedal feel is also greatly affected by brake pad compressability which varies widely from compound to compound. Quite often bigger brake pads with high compressability result in even more fluid displacment which degrades pedal feel for those that prefer force modulation.

To compound matters, there is no ideal. Some people prefer travel modulation, others prefer force modulation. Some prefer the Goldilocks version in between.

Mixing the idea that bigger brakes results in better pedal feel will lead you astray.

^ Great post.

There is more to brake performance than stopping distances or the ability to lock the wheels up. Brake balance, modulation, pedal feel, and resistance to fade are other parameters—all of them are important to control and driver confidence—with perhaps fade resistance being the most important to me.

I've encountered fade on the track and on the road, for very different reasons: Circuits work brakes harder but tend to give them a chance to cool at speed where some mountain roads never give them a break, and don't offer much in the way of speeds sufficient to cool the rotors before the next pounding. Having to drive around the brakes (or even the mere smell, a clear signal of where things are headed if you don't adjust your style and/or speed) is distinctly unfun and shakes confidence in the car not just for that drive, but future drives.

This ad deals with the issue of fade really well:

http://www.vehiclecraft.com/Brakes/930_upgrade.htm

Why the 930 Upgrade? Why not the "Boxster" or 964 calipers?

The main part of a braking system that has to deal with the heat absorption and dissipation is the brake rotor - not the calipers. So their size and mass is the main factor in choosing and upgrade. Simply put the 930 upgrade offers the largest rotor size available that will fit inside stock wheels and narrow body of most 911's and 914's. The Boxster and 964 upgrades that are being sold are based on a stock size 911 carrera rotor (24 x 289mm). While the calipers are noticeably larger, and provide more stopping power than the original small steel calipers, they actually make the main problem worse!Putting more heat energy into the same small rotor dose not solve problems, it makes them worse.
This is where the 930 Upgrade really does the job. The rotor size is 12.0" x 1.25" front (300 x 32mm) and 12.18" x 1.10 rear (310 x 28mm). This is about double the heat-sink capabilities of the original rotors! Of course along with those rotors come the 4-piston 930 calipers also about doubling your stopping power. To put it in perspective, this rotor size/mass is about 85% of what a Big Red rotor upgrade is

While I agree that rotor size is too often skipped over, I can't see the OP needing anything larger than the rotor in his pic with a 2.0-liter Type IV. Suspect that rotor is probably just fine up to 200 hp in most use cases. If the OP is going to keep the stock rear brakes, I'd aim for the best front caliper to match them that will work with those 911 rotors. I've been running the "Alfa" aluminum two-piston Brembos made popular in recent years and like the setup, but have been eyeing 986 calipers all around.
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
Thierry   I found a 911 front suspension, now what? newbee question   Feb 8 2021, 09:32 AM
ClayPerrine   You have everything you need there. But buy new ro...   Feb 8 2021, 09:36 AM
Thierry   You have everything you need there. But buy new r...   Feb 8 2021, 10:48 AM
Tdskip   +1 on not needing a booster.   Feb 8 2021, 09:45 AM
BillJ   Yep when i did boxster calipers on my conversion d...   Feb 8 2021, 09:55 AM
ClayPerrine   Boxster brakes will let you handle almost anyth...   Feb 8 2021, 02:29 PM
BillJ   Boxster brakes will let you handle almost anyt...   Feb 8 2021, 04:04 PM
Thierry   [quote name='ClayPerrine' post='2889473' date='Fe...   Feb 9 2021, 01:06 AM
mepstein   I would splurge and get a set of 911S calipers. Se...   Feb 8 2021, 10:17 AM
mepstein   With Boxster brakes, you use Carrera rotors and ea...   Feb 8 2021, 11:06 AM
Cairo94507   Great modification re the 5 -lug. I 100% agree wi...   Feb 8 2021, 11:38 AM
Racer   Remember, brakes just slow you down ;) How much p...   Feb 8 2021, 03:27 PM
burton73   In the late say 1979 I ran stock fresh 911SC full ...   Feb 8 2021, 04:19 PM
bkrantz   No matter how much power you put in a 914 (or any ...   Feb 8 2021, 08:35 PM
infraredcalvin   No matter how much power you put in a 914 (or any...   Feb 8 2021, 08:58 PM
mepstein   Horsepower means nothing when it comes to braking....   Feb 8 2021, 11:25 PM
Superhawk996   Horsepower means nothing when it comes to braking...   Feb 9 2021, 06:51 AM
infraredcalvin   So when you say you need bigger brakes, the quest...   Feb 9 2021, 09:21 AM
Superhawk996   What this should say is if you can lock up the t...   Feb 9 2021, 11:12 AM
horizontally-opposed   +1 on 986 calipers up front. Light, rigid, four ...   Feb 9 2021, 12:04 AM
Tdskip   All true - but - sometimes having bigger brakes re...   Feb 9 2021, 11:41 AM
Superhawk996   All true - but - sometimes having bigger brakes r...   Feb 9 2021, 12:14 PM
mepstein   I am with Tdskip on the premise that I’d rather ...   Feb 9 2021, 01:55 PM
Superhawk996   I am with Tdskip on the premise that I’d rather...   Feb 9 2021, 02:45 PM
dhuckabay   I have PCCB on four cars. Takes a while to learn ...   Feb 9 2021, 02:17 PM
horizontally-opposed   …if going with boxster fronts, you should have ...   Feb 9 2021, 10:17 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th June 2024 - 10:30 PM