Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Can this charcoal filter be refilled?
advman89
post Apr 26 2021, 02:09 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 23,286
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Before I go destroying something...I watched Ian's video on refilling and this one doesn't appear to want pry open...

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
mepstein
post Apr 26 2021, 09:05 PM
Post #2

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I don't have the patience or skill of bbrock. I'm also lazy. I used a 1.5" hole saw to open a hole on the bottom, dumped out charcoal, refilled it and sealed it back up with a piece of duct tape. Once it's mounted on the gas tank, the duct tape isn't visible. !0-15 minutes.
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Apr 26 2021, 09:20 PM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 26 2021, 08:05 PM) *

I don't have the patience or skill of bbrock. I'm also lazy. I used a 1.5" hole saw to open a hole on the bottom, dumped out charcoal, refilled it and sealed it back up with a piece of duct tape. Once it's mounted on the gas tank, the duct tape isn't visible. !0-15 minutes.

Curious how you dealt with the sandwich of spring loaded screens and filters. That was the only problem I had with the drill method, but it was a big one. I guess with a 1.5" hole, you could probably get the springs and sandwich re-positioned before refill?
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Apr 26 2021, 09:38 PM
Post #4

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(bbrock @ Apr 26 2021, 11:20 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 26 2021, 08:05 PM) *

Curious how you dealt with the sandwich of spring loaded screens and filters. That was the only problem I had with the drill method, but it was a big one. I guess with a 1.5" hole, you could probably get the springs and sandwich re-positioned before refill?

Yes. I don't remember the exact size of the hole saw but I was able to hold the internal pieces in place long enough to get it mostly filled and then packed some more in. I might have used something to wedge the parts in place. It was a while ago. I was thinking the next time I would use a hole saw the same size as the rubber disks that close off the holes in the front trunk.
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 11:30 PM