Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 914-6 steering column, need measurements / pictures
914racer
post Oct 3 2021, 08:01 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,564
Region Association: None

Does anyone have an original 914 steering column out of their car? It would great to see a few pictures and some measurements to confirm what I plan on doing.
I am restoring a 71 914 to a 6. I plan on installing a 911 steering column and left hand igintion switch. I have found a 73 911 column that I thought wound fit without modifications. I think a column from a 72 or earlier would have worked. Since I have the 73 column I plan on modifying it but would like to confirm the exact dimensions.
Thanks
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
mepstein
post Oct 3 2021, 09:52 AM
Post #2

914-6 GT in waiting

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I just did this. The bracket on the 73 column will not fit your early car. You need a plate from @gcrotvik to make the early 911 column fit your early car. You also need early 911 column switches.

Gold plate is 73 column
Silver plate is custom made to fit 70-71 column

Try the later column on your early car and you will see the difference.

I’m no expert in the conversion but I just helped the Porsche shop where I used to work figure this out on a 1971 six conversion so its still fresh in my mind. The different mounting plate size was a surprise to all of us until Greg/gcrotvik showed me the proper details. If he has any left, pay him whatever he asks. I went to a machine shop to have one made and they quoted hundreds of dollars and then said they were too busy at any price.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd June 2024 - 08:26 PM