Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 steering column
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914racer
Does anyone have an original 914 steering column out of their car? It would great to see a few pictures and some measurements to confirm what I plan on doing.
I am restoring a 71 914 to a 6. I plan on installing a 911 steering column and left hand igintion switch. I have found a 73 911 column that I thought wound fit without modifications. I think a column from a 72 or earlier would have worked. Since I have the 73 column I plan on modifying it but would like to confirm the exact dimensions.
Thanks
mepstein
I just did this. The bracket on the 73 column will not fit your early car. You need a plate from @gcrotvik to make the early 911 column fit your early car. You also need early 911 column switches.

Gold plate is 73 column
Silver plate is custom made to fit 70-71 column

Try the later column on your early car and you will see the difference.

I’m no expert in the conversion but I just helped the Porsche shop where I used to work figure this out on a 1971 six conversion so its still fresh in my mind. The different mounting plate size was a surprise to all of us until Greg/gcrotvik showed me the proper details. If he has any left, pay him whatever he asks. I went to a machine shop to have one made and they quoted hundreds of dollars and then said they were too busy at any price.
sixnotfour
Or if you have your 70-71 -4 column ,,cut the plate of it...
914Sixer
70-71 has NO Plate, it is VW Typ 311 Column. Cut the 73 plate down to size
mepstein
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Oct 3 2021, 02:47 PM) *

70-71 has NO Plate, it is VW Typ 311 Column. Cut the 73 plate down to size

Yea. It’s all molded metal. I’ll dig out the two plates and see where the holes on the early mount fall on the later plate.

It’s not an inexpensive conversion. Ballpark pricing;
Early steerer column 200-300
911 ignition with key 200-300
911 plastic clamshell 100-200
Wiper and turn signal switches 400-1,000
Early wheel 200-500
Restoration design 914-6 dash piece and spacer 50
Column plate fabrication $xxx
Wire harness $xxx

sixnotfour
Fuch ,, I was Incorrect..Time marches On...or I just used a Six Column... Theyb were around 40yrs ago,, HaHa
mepstein
It looks like a later mounting plate can be cut down and redrilled to fit the early column mounting area.
Shivers
QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 4 2021, 06:26 AM) *

It looks like a later mounting plate can be cut down and redrilled to fit the early column mounting area.

Hmmmm, cool.
horizontally-opposed
Anyone have direct experience on whether a good 914-4 column vs good 911/914-6 column feel much different?

Or is this merely an aesthetic/"key on the 'right' side" (for pre-1972 914-6) upgrade?
914racer
QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 3 2021, 11:52 AM) *

I just did this. The bracket on the 73 column will not fit your early car. You need a plate from @gcrotvik to make the early 911 column fit your early car. You also need early 911 column switches.

Gold plate is 73 column
Silver plate is custom made to fit 70-71 column

Try the later column on your early car and you will see the difference.

I’m no expert in the conversion but I just helped the Porsche shop where I used to work figure this out on a 1971 six conversion so its still fresh in my mind. The different mounting plate size was a surprise to all of us until Greg/gcrotvik showed me the proper details. If he has any left, pay him whatever he asks. I went to a machine shop to have one made and they quoted hundreds of dollars and then said they were too busy at any price.

Thanks for the reply. To confirm, the length of the early and later 911 columns are the same then the new attachment plate would be welded at the very end of the column?
I planned on using a flat plate with some gussets secure it to the column. I was going to drill the holes after welding together using a mill to make sure the holes are parallel with the column. Can you tell me the measurements from the back side edge of the plate to the back hole and the distance between the holes one one side and the distance between the holes side to side. In the mean time ill check with the shop to see of they still have any of the brackets, if you can give me the complete contact info.
Thanks
SirAndy
It's been a long time, but here's the thread showing what i did and which parts i used:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=82045

bye1.gif
sixnotfour
Totally when 914 cheep, Left Key REDRUM, -4 switch, no wiring, 76 column chop sawed off the key part,remolded plastic cover, and made a switch holder..held in with 4 screws..
No steering lock tho.. Car is a 76 So why not be a 72 914-6 ish but better ..left key
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.