Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> What lights to use for flat towing
PanelBilly
post Apr 9 2022, 05:17 PM
Post #1

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,488
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I picked up the cheap set up from HF today and was thinking the lights could mount to the engine cover so they were protected by the targa bar. Was also thinking I could pinch them between the back of the seats and the glass.

Anyone else care to share what they have rigged up for lights?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
infraredcalvin
post Apr 10 2022, 11:19 AM
Post #2

Distracted Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,463
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Apr 9 2022, 04:17 PM) *

I picked up the cheap set up from HF today and was thinking the lights could mount to the engine cover so they were protected by the targa bar. Was also thinking I could pinch them between the back of the seats and the glass.

Anyone else care to share what they have rigged up for lights?

I have those lights, used for a couple years flat towing my track car. The first time out the lights fell over when placed at the base of a duck tail on the rear of the trunk. I screwed them to a couple of aluminum plates and mounted them upside down to the rack mounts under the targa bar.

While running at the base of the trunk, they are low, noticed people panic stopping to mis rear ending. Also notice that people looking to change lanes would see my suv and not the 914 (black car at night) and try to merge into it. I ran the running lights and that helped a bit. When I finally mounted to the targa bar, those problems stopped happening altogether.

In CA you’re supposed to run a break away cable and have mechanical brakes over a certain weight (I think it’s 1500 lbs, I forget). My race car is 1900 lbs and I did not, never had any issues. Yes, it also needs to be registered in CA.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 03:33 PM