Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 6 rear suspension travel
nditiz1
post May 18 2022, 07:16 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,763
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

So I have posted on this before and am still confused.

How much rear suspension travel should there be on a 6?

74 chassis
2.4L engine
Springs appear to be 100 lb ones
Shocks are Bilstein C clip at lowest setting
No rear sway bar

With this setup the car sat low - cool, but there was no rear suspension travel. It was stiff back there. I push down and there is no give. Now, maybe that is how it is supposed to be?? I remember my 4 having a little bit of rebound, but that was with 200lb less back there.

So I am in the process of clicking up two spots on the Bilsteins to get some rebound back. Seems counter intuitive though. If I compress the spring more it will be more stiff. My thinking here is that there is now travel with two clicks up since before when down on the ground the spring and shock were already compressed so no suspension travel was left on the console and or the shock. Thoughts?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
nditiz1
post May 18 2022, 09:29 AM
Post #2

Ahhhhhh, ok so the lack of compression in the rear is:

Common per Mark
and
Could also be due to %100 Sag

Now, by clicking up 2 spots on the Bilsteins I will in theory gain some compression due to Sag being at 75% which will also increase my ride height hopefully not to a "raked" look.
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post May 18 2022, 09:35 AM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

QUOTE(nditiz1 @ May 18 2022, 11:29 AM) *

Common per Mark
and

Now, by clicking up 2 spots on the Bilsteins I will in theory gain some compression due to Sag being at 75% which will also increase my ride height hopefully not to a "raked" look.

I suspect you're looking at 140 lbs/in springs to get the look you want and to sill have sufficient compression travel.

You don't want to have the damper having used up 75% of it's potential travel at curb height.

On street use, it is virtually impossible to get wheels in the air (i.e. to have run out of rebound travel). This is why you want to bias toward having more compression travel than rebound travel.

If I read your comment above correctly, it sounds like you're proposing the opposite.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
nditiz1
post May 18 2022, 10:22 AM
Post #4

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ May 18 2022, 08:35 AM) *

QUOTE(nditiz1 @ May 18 2022, 11:29 AM) *

Common per Mark
and

I suspect you're looking at 140 lbs/in springs to get the look you want and to sill have sufficient compression travel.

You don't want to have the damper having used up 75% of it's potential travel at curb height.

On street use, it is virtually impossible to get wheels in the air (i.e. to have run out of rebound travel). This is why you want to bias toward having more compression travel than rebound travel.

If I read your comment above correctly, it sounds like you're proposing the opposite.

Not at all, will increasing ride height, increase shock travel? Compression?

Also, in terms of a formuala

Compression travel = Rebound travel - just realized the idiocy of this formula - if the body were to lift then there would be less rebound travel than compression

I should have said I don't want excessive rake

Attached Image
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 11:17 PM