Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Doing a rebuild '73 2.0 motor - heads are shot
DC_neun_vierzehn
post Jun 11 2022, 06:52 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 24,893
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

My '73 2.0 motor needs a rebuild. Different shops are recommending different approaches to replacing the heads, which are both cracked (near the spark plug holes).

One shop doesn't believe in using "Chinese crap" and wants to try and search the planet for NOS or great condition heads, but has no leads (nor do they think welding/repairing my heads is a good idea).

The other shop is open to using high quality repos like the Len Hoffman 2.0 heads.

What have folks used for replacement heads on a 2.0 rebuild that are performing well years later? Are there any options out there for finding NOS or top shape used 2.0 heads?

FYI - keeping the motor stock - no mods on the rebuild.

Thanks in advance.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Steve H
post Jun 11 2022, 09:26 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 646

Well, you just might be in luck. I have had some NOS parts sitting in the guest bedroom closet for at least the past 15 years waiting to have a stock, GA case, 2.0L engine built from the ground up. I'm beginning to think this build might not get done. I have the following:
NOS 2.0L German Porsche/VW heads still smothered in cosmoline from the factory
NOS 2.0L German Porsche/VW crankshaft smothered in cosmoline from the factory
NOS 2.0L German Mahle 94mm High Comp. Pistons & Cylinders, rings and wrist pins
Original GA (t-4) case. Casework has already been prepared by George at European Motorworks in Hawthorn, Ca. Case was align bored with oil galley holes drilled and tapped. Set of main bearings to match also purchased.

I'm out of town until Monday but will be happy to send photos or talk if you have any interest. Please note that I'm of Norwegian Decent and not Nigerian. George at European knows me as does Bruce Stone and Leamon Stamsell from So Cal. Either way, good luck with your build.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 03:40 AM