Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

> 74 1.8L rear coil spring color dots
L-Jet914
post Apr 20 2023, 03:48 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,080
Region Association: Northern California

I am swapping out my original rear coil springs for new 100lb springs from 914 rubber. I was reading through the factory service manual and found out that my springs are from the Group 2 and Group 3 stiffness via the 2 and 3 green dots on the coil. The service manual states there are 3 different stiffness options. I wonder if all the 74 1.8s came with this spring option or if it varied. Per the service manual it says they were suppossed to be matched in pairs but from the factory I have no idea haha. @starbear @wonkipop

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
wonkipop
post Apr 20 2023, 07:40 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,231
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

@L-Jet914
i didn't spot any paint dots on my springs when i did the shocks a few years back.
worn off maybe or very faded. but i was not looking for them at that time.
was happily unaware of the esoteric secret markings all over everything - i'd probably be on the lookout now. had a peer under the car for you to see if i could spot any but can't see any on the visible areas of the springs.

there is a thread on springs here.
its got all the stock spring rate strengths.
there are some tables with all the data for all the different cars.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=95741

the original springs (from 72 on) are quite a bit lower than 100lb.
all in the 50 lb range.
the 6s seemed to be in the 60lb range and the GTs got springs as strong as 90lb max.

my 1.8 has sway bars front and rear from factory.
i think the idea was the sway bars rather than the springs kept the tail from getting too happy in a snappy way and combined with softer springs also gave you comfort.

i kept my original springs and fitted rear biltstein shocks with adjustable perches.
got the rear of the car up a bit higher than where it had done the old 914 arse sag down to. let me set it up all level front to rear and side to side.

interestingly one side of my car at the rear had sagged more than the other after all that time. not a lot but you could pick it up. just a slight difference. we corrected all that with the new shocks and setting the front torsion bars. the shocks i pulled off were the original boges so i am fairly sure the springs are original too. 99% sure.
@Van B mentioned his car when he got it also sagged more on one side at the rear, not a lot but you could notice it.

i'm intrigued by the fact you got two different springs on the rear of the car.
i would have thought they would have been matched pairs.
but there is not a lot of difference in the three different springs the factory supplied anyway. i say this is the context of noticing how with time 914s maybe sag more on one side than the other at the rear? i dunno.!???? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
maybe there is some reason for that? but i don't know what it would be.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
L-Jet914
post Apr 20 2023, 09:26 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 15,080
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(wonkipop @ Apr 20 2023, 06:40 PM) *

@L-Jet914
i didn't spot any paint dots on my springs when i did the shocks a few years back.
worn off maybe or very faded. but i was not looking for them at that time.
was happily unaware of the esoteric secret markings all over everything - i'd probably be on the lookout now. had a peer under the car for you to see if i could spot any but can't see any on the visible areas of the springs.

there is a thread on springs here.
its got all the stock spring rate strengths.
there are some tables with all the data for all the different cars.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=95741

the original springs (from 72 on) are quite a bit lower than 100lb.
all in the 50 lb range.
the 6s seemed to be in the 60lb range and the GTs got springs as strong as 90lb max.

my 1.8 has sway bars front and rear from factory.
i think the idea was the sway bars rather than the springs kept the tail from getting too happy in a snappy way and combined with softer springs also gave you comfort.

i kept my original springs and fitted rear biltstein shocks with adjustable perches.
got the rear of the car up a bit higher than where it had done the old 914 arse sag down to. let me set it up all level front to rear and side to side.

interestingly one side of my car at the rear had sagged more than the other after all that time. not a lot but you could pick it up. just a slight difference. we corrected all that with the new shocks and setting the front torsion bars. the shocks i pulled off were the original boges so i am fairly sure the springs are original too. 99% sure.
@Van B mentioned his car when he got it also sagged more on one side at the rear, not a lot but you could notice it.

i'm intrigued by the fact you got two different springs on the rear of the car.
i would have thought they would have been matched pairs.
but there is not a lot of difference in the three different springs the factory supplied anyway. i say this is the context of noticing how with time 914s maybe sag more on one side than the other at the rear? i dunno.!???? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
maybe there is some reason for that? but i don't know what it would be.

Interesting that your 1.8L came with sway bars front and rear from the factory. My 74 that my dad purchased new must have been the base of base models haha. I wish that it had come with front and rear sway bars. I've never driven with factory front and rear sways bars. I can imagine it handles differently. What notch did you put the cir-clip on when you fitted the new shocks? I followed Ian Karr's recommendation of 4th from the bottom/3rd down from the top.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th May 2024 - 05:40 PM