Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> door striker plate, Does shimming help?
robkammer
post Jun 22 2023, 12:05 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 25,049
Region Association: North East States

All: The doors on our 74 have really great fit on the outside, but rattle quite a bit. When I pull on the door it can be pulled in just about an eighth of an inch and the rattling and squeaking stops.
Haynes show striker plates that can be shimmed, but the 74 has a later style that has two rubber tabs instead of screws.
Has anyone swapped styles and had good results?
All of the rubber on the car was replaced during a restoration in 2014-2016 and it's had less than 3000 miles since, and always been garaged as well.
Any idea would be helpful.
Thanks!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
peteinjp
post Jun 22 2023, 06:23 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 25,723
Region Association: None

QUOTE(robkammer @ Jun 23 2023, 08:38 AM) *

I don't feel that's the right fix. The door panel fit is perfect. I don't want to draw the door in to make it tight. The Dr. says that the restorer used aftermarket rubber during the restoration. I don't think that's the case but will look through the docs. to see if I can find anything.
To Me, the wedge shape of the plate and door striker make the fit happen. Just need to find out how to shim the plates on the car, or find a set like the ones pictured in the Haynes

I had similar issues in particular with my passenger door. It was restored with aftermarket rubber, but the seller, being the awesome guy that he is, stepped up and supplied me with OEM stuff. It’s much thicker, fit the door channel better (didn’t even use any glue,) and feels much better as well. No more rattles in the door closes flush with the body.

Pete
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd June 2024 - 10:46 AM