Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> So what don't you like about the Boxster?
96conv
post Feb 3 2005, 12:18 AM
Post #1

Can't reMember

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,807

I can't understand what folks don't like about the Boxster. Even the base 1997, 2.5L model is way quick and handles like a sports car should. I've had the hots for a 993 for a while now but the 2005 Boxster S has taken its place in my dreams. So, besides the stigma that it's a hairdresser's car, is there any other reason to dislike the Boxster? I wish I could afford it now but I'll have to settle for an '03 S next year.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
IronHillRestorations
post Feb 3 2005, 09:14 AM
Post #2

I. I. R. C.

Group: Members
Member No.: 439
Region Association: None

At least Zois hasn't chimed in with his usual response (didn't you know he's actually the secret universal concience of all things Porsche).

I've had a standard 2000 Boxster for over four years, and have very little to complain about.

I'll dispell most of the aruguements given.

Engine accessibility, not really a problem, especially considering you don't have to do anything to it! It's no 914, so it's not on jackstands two out of five years (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif). All I've done to my Boxster is change the oil and brake fluid, and do some minor upgrades to convienence items. The oil change proceedure could be the easiest on any car I've owned. From a service standpoint it's really not any more difficult to work on than a 914.

The marketing issue has nothing to do with how the car drives and performs. Sure it pissed me off too, but after owning the car and living with it, I've let it go.

I live in rural TN, so I've only seen other Boxsters in Nashville, Memphis, and there's a couple in the closest (70k pop) town of any size. Quite honestly though I don't care about the "you see them all the time" thing. We had a Explorer and now have a family minivan, of which there are millions. So on one hand you are a snob if you've got a Pooorsh, but on the other hand you want a car that everyone covets? I got the car because I like it, I really don't care what anyone else thinks.

I too think the Boxster front clip on the 911 cheapend both cars and did nothing but "Japanese" Porsche. The Boxster was first though. Remember the hoopla when the first introduced the concept car? How many of us saw that car the first time and thought "woah, they are going to make a updated 914, cool I can't wait to get my hands on one, or my foot in one"??? Then (once again) the crack Porsche marketing staff stepped in it and dissed all 914 owners. So in a instant some of those guys who were foaming at the mouth over this car, got pissed at the car, for something the ad guys didn't do. The car is still the new 914.

The production model was really close to the concept car, not like most concept cars we see. That look is the appeal of the Boxster, Porsche just took the thing too far by sticking the Boxster nose on the 911. Side by side the Boxster is still a better looking car than the 996, or the 996 cabriolet for that matter.

I've never had a car that's got enough power. I built a 3.0 914 and it was scary fast with loads of torque and power, but more power would have been better. I also know that a Boxster with too much power is an easier drive than a 914 with too much power. Just like a 2.0 914-4 it's a excellent package, just alot better, newer, more refined package. Most of the people that gripe about the Boxster not having enough power don't own one.

If all the people that gripe about the Boxster would live with one for a week, they would change thier opinion. I wonder too, how many of those who gripe the loudest, secretly wish they had the resources to own one.

The only gripe I've got is probably valuation, which isn't a real issue anyway, as I plan to keep my Boxster for a very long time, and at some point in the future will do to it what I do with 914's (put a 911 engine in it). As we all know newer cars aren't the best "investment" if you are looking for a monetary return. Again I didn't buy my Boxster with any thought about future resale value.

Some of the arguments about the "raw sports car"? Try and find a new car that doesn't have alot of bells and whistles. They just aren't out there in mass produced cars. We have all come to expect certain things in new cars. If a $40k plus car didn't have some of these things, the detractors would be saying "it doesn't even have blah, blah blah". There isn't one mass produced sports car that doesn't have all the little "bells and whistles". Sure you can get a Elise in "raw form", try and live with one of those for a week on the road - HAH!!

If you are looking to get a Boxster, run don't walk to your nearest dealer and get the newest highest power Boxster you can afford. You'll love it. It has great heat, great A/C, doesn't leak, and has two trunks that (like a 914) hold alot of stuff. The more you live with it the more you'll think "this is a new 914". Don't worry about what anyone else thinks.

Sorry for the BW, end of rant!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
96conv   So what don't you like about the Boxster?   Feb 3 2005, 12:18 AM
Jake Raby   It's got a radiator htt...   Feb 3 2005, 12:21 AM
trekkor   My good friend has one. He let's me drive it. ...   Feb 3 2005, 12:22 AM
96conv     Feb 3 2005, 12:24 AM
MattR   Its not a 914. http://www.914world...   Feb 3 2005, 12:29 AM
Brett W   It is heavy. Looks OK but has no nuts to back it ...   Feb 3 2005, 12:31 AM
vortrex   for $50k or whatever they are you could get a...   Feb 3 2005, 12:31 AM
skline   You know what, you guys sound like a bunch of pink...   Feb 3 2005, 12:38 AM
fiid   I don't like the Boxster for a few reasons - a...   Feb 3 2005, 12:48 AM
MattR     Feb 3 2005, 12:52 AM
VegasRacer   I like the boxster. The S is much better than the ...   Feb 3 2005, 12:54 AM
Rotten Robby   Hmmmm... Speaking as both a Boxster and 914 owner ...   Feb 3 2005, 01:04 AM
fiid   70K+ is definately a success story - from a bottom...   Feb 3 2005, 01:14 AM
ArtechnikA   mostly, the drivers, although the ones i know (whi...   Feb 3 2005, 07:34 AM
Racer Chris   What I don't like about the Boxster is that I ...   Feb 3 2005, 08:47 AM
Qarl   My 2001 Boxster (non S) was a major PITA. I had m...   Feb 3 2005, 08:47 AM
ClayPerrine   Here's my .02 on the Boxster. It's defini...   Feb 3 2005, 09:03 AM
ClayPerrine   Here's an idea for someone out there with more...   Feb 3 2005, 09:06 AM
9146986   At least Zois hasn't chimed in with his usual ...   Feb 3 2005, 09:14 AM
Gustl   in general I do like the Boxster, especially the 9...   Feb 3 2005, 09:32 AM
Rob Ways   I went through the Boxster phase and now I'm g...   Feb 3 2005, 09:33 AM
Hi_Fi_Guy   The Boxster is a great car. I've had my 2.7 f...   Feb 3 2005, 10:19 AM
Rotten Robby   I have a couple of things to add to the things tha...   Feb 3 2005, 10:22 AM
ArtechnikA   <...   Feb 3 2005, 11:35 AM
RON S.   The only thing I dislike about the boxster is that...   Feb 3 2005, 11:54 AM
airsix   I'll make my gripe list simple. [*]Too big. C...   Feb 3 2005, 12:00 PM
seanery   I like Boxsters, have from the beginning. I like t...   Feb 3 2005, 12:06 PM
Dave_Darling   What Ben M said. For me, the early S that I drove...   Feb 3 2005, 12:12 PM
KaptKaos     Feb 3 2005, 01:21 PM
ninefourteener   The Boxter is an awesome car. A tad bit underpowe...   Feb 3 2005, 03:05 PM
synthesisdv     Feb 3 2005, 03:20 PM
!   This is scary....I'm in agreement with Clay an...   Feb 3 2005, 03:46 PM
grantsfo   Here's my perspective from owning both cars as...   Feb 3 2005, 04:12 PM
tat2dphreak   most of the people who bought them seem to like th...   Feb 3 2005, 04:19 PM
SirAndy     Feb 3 2005, 04:48 PM
redshift   The new 2006 coupe styling is horrible... I have ...   Feb 3 2005, 05:20 PM
jd74914  
  Feb 3 2005, 05:25 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 01:52 AM