|
|

|
Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG.
This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way. Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners. |
|
|
| tygaboy |
Jun 29 2026, 01:33 PM
Post
#1
|
|
914 Guru ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Group: Members Posts: 5,853 Joined: 6-October 15 From: Petaluma, CA Member No.: 19,241 Region Association: Northern California
|
After doing most of the work to add a heater core to my fresh air box, 3D printing some cool parts, fabbing the lines and buying everything else I need, I thought "do I really want all this when what I really need is a simple defrost function?"
I mean, I live in CA, don't drive the car if it's super cold or raining and I have heated seats. So the answer is "no, not gonna do it." Instead, I'm going to order 2 heated windshields (one for the LS car, one for the Ferrari build) from Heated Windsceens / Ricky Evans Motorsports in the UK: www.heatedwindscreen.com From their site: Is my windscreen going to be fully road legal? Yes - A lot of our heated windscreens are designing for motorsport use, however all of our products are fully road legal with all the correct markings for use on roads all over the world. Cost is currently about $400 US plus shipping. When I told them I wanted two, they said they have to put them on a pallet and the shipping cost would stay the same if it's two or up to 5 or 6. So... Anyone interested in a heated windshield? As far as needed wiring, here's the response I got when I asked about wiring it: To get the best performance from the screen it’s a 25A fuse and relay both sides to a single switch, you can do just a single circuit and rate it higher, attached the inner two wires on the screen but then it will take longer to warm up. PM me if you're interested and we can work out the details. |
![]() ![]() |
| JeffBowlsby |
Jul 1 2026, 08:00 AM
Post
#2
|
|
914 Wiring Harnesses & Beekeeper ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Group: Members Posts: 9,364 Joined: 7-January 03 From: San Ramon CA Member No.: 104 Region Association: None
|
I contacted the manufacturer asking:
"I was wondering if your wired windscreens could be used as a radio antenna?" His reply: "Hi Jeff, Had a chat with Ricky and if you got an amplifier off like an old Saphire Sierra then yes this actually could work. I couldn’t say if the heated function and everything would all function at the same time but in theory yes. Thanks, Dan" Ricky Evans Motorsport Ltd Unit 11, Roman Park Claymore , Tame Valley Ind Est Tamworth Staffs B77 5DQ Tele 0044(0)1827283688 email sales@heatedwindscreen.com |
| windforfun |
Jul 1 2026, 09:08 AM
Post
#3
|
|
Advanced Member ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Group: Members Posts: 2,115 Joined: 17-December 07 From: Blackhawk, CA Member No.: 8,476 Region Association: None
|
I contacted the manufacturer asking: "I was wondering if your wired windscreens could be used as a radio antenna?" His reply: "Hi Jeff, Had a chat with Ricky and if you got an amplifier off like an old Saphire Sierra then yes this actually could work. I couldn’t say if the heated function and everything would all function at the same time but in theory yes. Thanks, Dan" Ricky Evans Motorsport Ltd Unit 11, Roman Park Claymore , Tame Valley Ind Est Tamworth Staffs B77 5DQ Tele 0044(0)1827283688 email sales@heatedwindscreen.com How are the heating elements oriented? AM is vertically polariazed & FM/TV is horizontally polarized. This gets partially scrambled as the fields propagate & bounce around. |
| JeffBowlsby |
Jul 1 2026, 10:24 AM
Post
#4
|
|
914 Wiring Harnesses & Beekeeper ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Group: Members Posts: 9,364 Joined: 7-January 03 From: San Ramon CA Member No.: 104 Region Association: None
|
I contacted the manufacturer asking: "I was wondering if your wired windscreens could be used as a radio antenna?" His reply: "Hi Jeff, Had a chat with Ricky and if you got an amplifier off like an old Saphire Sierra then yes this actually could work. I couldn’t say if the heated function and everything would all function at the same time but in theory yes. Thanks, Dan" Ricky Evans Motorsport Ltd Unit 11, Roman Park Claymore , Tame Valley Ind Est Tamworth Staffs B77 5DQ Tele 0044(0)1827283688 email sales@heatedwindscreen.com How are the heating elements oriented? AM is vertically polariazed & FM/TV is horizontally polarized. This gets partially scrambled as the fields propagate & bounce around. Hi Peter! I don't know...will ask... |
tygaboy Heated Windshield, anyone? Jun 29 2026, 01:33 PM
JeffBowlsby I wonder if these could be used as an antenna? :t... Jun 29 2026, 02:02 PM
GregAmy Are these laminated clear elements? Any photos?
I... Jun 29 2026, 02:21 PM
tygaboy
Are these laminated clear elements? Any photos?
... Jun 29 2026, 04:08 PM

windforfun
[quote name='windforfun' post='3263565' date='Jul... Jul 1 2026, 11:13 AM
carreras0 Adding onto Jeff's electrical curiosity--- I w... Oct 1 2026, 04:15 PM
JeffBowlsby More from Rickys 'Dan':
"The wires r... Jul 2 2026, 07:57 AM
windforfun
More from Rickys 'Dan':
"The wires ... Jul 2 2026, 10:23 AM
Shivers I saw it is calc'd out at a 25 amp fuse, do yo... Jul 2 2026, 02:51 PM
Dlee6205 :bump:
There's at least two of us interested... Jul 7 2026, 02:22 PM
T.Rick6
:bump:
There's at least two of us intereste... Jul 8 2026, 07:57 AM
Steve The price is right, but not really needed in Calif... Jul 7 2026, 03:13 PM
GregAmy This would be a fantastic answer for my racer.
Bu... Jul 7 2026, 08:16 PM
Chris914n6 imma going to help you change your mind.... lol
W... Jul 8 2026, 12:48 AM
morehills I'm in on this east coast deal and I think it... Jul 8 2026, 06:09 AM
tygaboy Update: I heard back, answers in bold, below.
I... Jul 13 2026, 08:07 AM
tygaboy And the bad news is that shipping costs for one wi... Jul 13 2026, 08:54 AM
tygaboy Another update:
I asked about how visible that sil... Jul 13 2026, 09:08 AM
Optimusglen My 2009 Range Rover has the factory heated windshi... Jul 13 2026, 11:52 AM
Shivers Just fyi it is a 10 amp draw. You may want to calc... Jul 13 2026, 02:16 PM
Chris914n6 Is that glass or plastic? Plastic will micro scrat... Jul 13 2026, 03:16 PM
burton73
Is that glass or plastic? Plastic will micro scra... Jul 13 2026, 05:09 PM
windforfun
Is that glass or plastic? Plastic will micro scr... Jul 19 2026, 06:57 PM
Andyrew Chris,
As I messaged in my text I’m in for one... Jul 19 2026, 06:21 PM![]() ![]() |
|
Lo-Fi Version | Time is now: 2nd October 2026 - 01:21 AM |
| All rights reserved 914World.com © since 2002 |
|
914World.com is the fastest growing online 914 community! We have it all, classifieds, events, forums, vendors, parts, autocross, racing, technical articles, events calendar, newsletter, restoration, gallery, archives, history and more for your Porsche 914 ... |