Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> HF alignment tool on sale
scotty914
post Feb 16 2005, 12:31 AM
Post #1

suby torque rules

Group: Members
Member No.: 924

here

and its only 10 bucks
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Dominic
post Feb 16 2005, 05:24 PM
Post #2

Dominic

Group: Members
Member No.: 149
Region Association: Northern California

You can measure the toe-in very easily by running a set of strings or thread along the sides of the car, similar to the smart strings idea from smart racing products. You can do it cheap by using 4 heavy objects like jack stands to string the thread from. Get the string hieght centered on the wheels (i use the middle of the center caps). The trick is to make sure the strings are straight, since the front and rear track (width) of the 914 are different. The rear is 40mm wider than the front, so in order for the strings to be straight they would have to be 20mm further away on the front wheel, than in the rear. Do you follow me?
Then set the left front wheel (using the steering wheel) so that the measurement is the same on both sides of the rim (left is at 0 toe, perfectly straight)
Go to the right side (assuming that you have loosened the tie rod ends on the right) and adjust it so the front of the right rim is about 1/8" more than the rear of the right front rim (TOE IN).
(this is much easier with a set of turbo tie rod ends)
I use a machinist ruler when I make my measurements and can get this as accurate as any alignment monkey.

Now as far as the camber....Do yourself a favor and spend the $200.00 on the digital camber gauge from smart racing products.
Also spot on when done correctly. I zero out the gauge on the flat plane where my front tires will be sitting then just go to each side of the car and adjust the camber with the 3 allen head bolts at the top of the strut under the front lid.

Then treat yourself to a beer for all that money and hassle you saved by doing it yourself! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/beerchug.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
scott thacher   HF alignment tool on sale   Feb 16 2005, 12:31 AM
Dr Evil   That thing is a POS and doesn't work very well...   Feb 16 2005, 12:33 AM
scott thacher   well i tried   Feb 16 2005, 12:39 AM
airsix   They've also got a new camber guage I saw in t...   Feb 16 2005, 12:05 PM
Joseph Mills   <...   Feb 16 2005, 02:05 PM
Dr Evil   First, there is a problem getting the tool to stay...   Feb 16 2005, 03:05 PM
bperry   I tried one and couldn't use it on any of our ...   Feb 16 2005, 03:08 PM
TimT     Feb 16 2005, 03:55 PM
Joseph Mills     Feb 16 2005, 05:40 PM
TimT   The toe plates are Longacre products. If you have...   Feb 16 2005, 05:55 PM
vsg914   Joseph, I use the same teqnique as Tim, but mine a...   Feb 16 2005, 05:58 PM
MecGen   Hey Guys The closest thing "real" was some guys ho...   Feb 16 2005, 06:53 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 05:10 AM