Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> OT. Back Surgery?
michaelmoo
post Feb 22 2005, 09:36 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,092

Has anyone here had back surgery? I have two collapsed disk (thanks to an 18 wheeler at 55mph) and have done the back injections, physical therapy for 7+ months and tomorrow I have an appointment with my Doc who gave me until last Friday to start showing signs of improvement before talking surgery. Well on Friday at therapy I read my review that they are sending the doctor. It said, “his progress has plateaued”. So I’m sure I’m going t hear about surgery. Just wanted to know if any one has had it and how they are know.

(Plus was the discogram really as bad as I have read)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
jasons
post Feb 22 2005, 10:00 AM
Post #2

Jackstand Extraordinaire

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,573
Region Association: None

I have 3 fused vertabrae. Got some sweet Ti in my spine. How many people can brag about that upgrade? Anyways, I broke my back in a mountain biking accident. I had a head on collision with another guy. We met in a corner at the bottom of 2 downhill sections. We were each going about 25 mph so it was effectively a 50 mph collision. I fractured one vert. real bad. So bad I thank someone everyday that I don't have to lug myself into a wheelchair in the morning. So much for my problems.

Honestly, my surgery sucked. I can't paint a pretty picture for you, I wish I could. Your procedure probably isn't as invasive as mine. Do they go through your chest or straight to your back? Mine, they went through my chest. They removed a piece of one rib then collapsed my lung. Then they push my heart out of the way to gain access to the trouble vert. At which point, they use their version of a dremmel tool and proceed to grind out the broken part of the vert. Once the vert. is "hogged out" they stick a piece of cadaver bone in the hole. Then they bolt it to the surrounding verts. with a plate of Ti and some screws.

My recovery was 10 days in the hospital. I had some minor complications. I had 4 or 5 tubes coming out of various holes and orifices. At home I was on the couch for about 6 weeks more. I didn't feel completely recovered for about 1 year.

The upside, I have few problems now and I consider myself lucky. Sorry, I can't tell you it was so much fun and I hate going to the dentist more. The truth is it sucked but I have almost no side effects. Worst thing for me is sitting in crappy chairs or bleachers, then I get real achey. Othewise, I can lift stuff work on stuff, go to the gym with almost no problems.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th June 2024 - 11:20 AM