Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> factory oil cooler, can you install it while its in the car
bernbomb914
post Mar 15 2005, 07:30 PM
Post #1

one of the oldest Farts on this board

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 36

have to change the oil cooler. can it be done in the car without removing the motor

Bernie
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
ClayPerrine
post Mar 15 2005, 09:48 PM
Post #2

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE (Dave_Darling @ Mar 15 2005, 07:57 PM)
I am told that there is a tiny possibility that you could unscrew the studs that the cooler mounts onto, and drop the cooler and studs together. You would naturally have to put the new cooler and the studs up there as a unit, then screw the studs back into the case, then the nuts onto the studs. (Not to mention the outboard bracket you have to remove or dismantle.)

Umm, even if this is possible, it will likely take about eight times as long as dropping the motor and doing the job the right way. And the risk of having the threads come out of the engine case with the studs is definitely non-zero.

--DD

Yes, it CAN be done with the engine in the car!!!! (And why does everyone not believe me when I say this???)

I did it that way 6 times. It worked every time. Just follow the procedure for replacing the seals, and then unscrew the 2 long studs. The cooler will fall out. When you go to put it back, just put the studs in the cooler before trying to put it in. Then install the seals like the article outlines.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
bernbomb914   factory oil cooler   Mar 15 2005, 07:30 PM
john rogers   Hi Bernie, if I remember correctly you have a four...   Mar 15 2005, 07:48 PM
Dave_Darling   I am told that there is a tiny possibility that yo...   Mar 15 2005, 07:57 PM
ClayPerrine  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd June 2024 - 12:05 AM