Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Newbie, questions from an inquisitor
jeg242s
post Mar 16 2005, 11:32 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,772

I am considering getting into the 914 thing. I currently am rebuilding a 1989 Jeep Cherokee significant rust etc. etc. etc. My question is how much more difficult is it to maintain a 914? I am ok mechanially and was wondering if I could maintain a 914, I would love to learn about it and you guys seem to have a lot of information to dispose. Thanks in advance.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
ThinAir
post Mar 17 2005, 12:12 AM
Post #2

Best friends

Group: Members
Member No.: 231
Region Association: Southwest Region

From the sounds of what you are doing to the Jeep, you'll have no trouble with 914 work. The others have described it pretty well, although the cost estimates may be a bit high.

Having said that, I'll give you an idea of how addictive having a 914 is:

I've got a 72 that I stripped to restore it, then found out it was gonna cost 3x more than the initial estimate (and I lost my job about the same time) so I put it up on jackstands to get back to eventually. 2 years ago I got a new job (after only being off for 3 months). The first thing I did was start shopping the classifieds here for a new 914. I found a nice 73 in Seattle, flew up there with my son and drove it back in a weekend.

The car is very nice, but the PO had put a bad cam in it and it went flat on the trip. So I installed the engine that I had obtained for the 72. In January (a year ago), I blew out one of the oil galley plugs and lost all the oil. I thought I had an indicator light problem, but plenty of oil so I drove it - 2 miles later I had a frozen up engine.

So the nice 73 has been up on jackstands while I've patiently collected parts. They are all readily available. I just didn't want to shock the budget by doing it all at once. Last weekend I finally got about half the engine put together. I purposely work slow and methodically because I don't want to risk anything going wrong.

Before it goes back on the road I also have to get the clutch tube repaired (welding) - that will happen on Easter weekend. I'm also moving the fuel pump from the engine area to the front of the car. I'm hopeful that I'll have it done in time for the Route 66 Classic in June.

Bear in mind that not every project will take this much time. I live at 7,000 feet and get snow in the winter (and don't have a garage) so I have some issues that warm weather folks don't have. When I get it done I'm gonna have my dream car - and my smile on that first drive is gonna be sooooo BIG that the folks in Southern CA will probably be able to see it! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif) These cars are definitely worth the effort and with the aid of this group you can tackle anything!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd June 2024 - 03:04 AM