Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Trunk Hinge Pivot Installation
toecutter
post Mar 20 2005, 09:51 AM
Post #1

Kid Close Enough

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,723

This is my first post here so be gentle with me. I just ordered replacement trunk hinge pivots from JWest (last night actually) and since it is a beautiful day today I thought I would remove the old, wallowed out pivots. Since I haven't received them yet I am assuming I just need to drill out the spot welds. Anybody have any suggestions?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
riverman
post Mar 20 2005, 10:46 AM
Post #2

Learn As I Go

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,466

As 9146986 said, be careful with the torsion bars. They store alot of energy.

You can drill out the spot welds with a normal drill, but you may want to be careful that you don't drill through the metal underneath as well. It just gives the rust something to start on. The best way is to use a spot weld cutter, but I did all my spot weld cutting with a drill.
I started out with a 1/4" bit and drilled into the center of the weld untill I could see that the egde of the bit had gone in about 1mm. Then I went to a wider 3/8" bit and just widened the hole but didn't go any deeper. This seems to remove the weld but doesn't go through the metal underneath (it might leave a small divot). Once you cut out all the spot welds, the part you are trying to remove should just fall off.
Also, you may want to remove the paint where the spot welds are. Sometimes they are hard to see and there is a surprising number of them.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd June 2024 - 11:05 PM