Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 1970 Porsche 914 2.0, 1970 Porsche 914 2.0
melissakay
post Jul 12 2005, 08:11 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,405

I have a 1970 Porsche 914 with a 1974 fresh rebuilt 2.0 liter engine and new clutch but a ruined transmission. Does anyone out there have any interest in purchasing this vehicle? Or does anyone out there have any interest in giving advice on getting an affordable transmission?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Red-Beard
post Jul 12 2005, 01:03 PM
Post #2

"Ya canna change the laws of Physics"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 288
Region Association: None

#1. A short drive without oil will not kill the tranny. Not good for it but will not kill it.
#2. The symptoms are not of a dead tranny, but a poorly adjusted external shift linkage to gear selector.

We do need to know if the tranny is side shift or tail shift. I have an unknown side shift in the garage which I could do a check up on - Rear cover pull and gear stack removal and check, ($350 plus shipping) or go through it and make sure it is a fully operational one that will last for several years with a complete new set of seals ($1000+ shipping).

If you have a tailshift unit, you will need to aquire the other conversion parts. Not difficult and not too expensive. And, the sideshift is far far superior to the tailshift.

Before I would go any farther, I would have someone who knows something about 901 or VW trannies take a look at it and do the shift rod alignment and fill it with oil. That will only cost you a few bucks and maybe a change of oil.

If the mechanic is not familiar with how to adjust the shift linkage, connect to my homepage and print out the shift adjustment aritcles (One is for tailshift and one is for sideshift).

I just re-read your post and my key belief is that the adjustment screw on the linkage was not tightened enough and now the shifter is not able to move backwards enough to enage gears 1-3-5.

Other possible easy fixes: Roll Pin broken inside tail cover (tailshift) or in shift console (sideshift). If sideshift, broken cone screw also possible.

Again, running without oil will not cause the symptoms you describe.

James
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd June 2024 - 10:18 AM