Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> What's gud flow for a carb using a syncrometer?
Joe Bob
post Aug 7 2005, 12:28 PM
Post #1

Retired admin, banned a few times

Group: Members
Member No.: 5
Region Association: None

Aaron finally sent me my synchrometer....thanks weenie (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/pray.gif)

What's a gud flow for each throat at idle? Or do I bump the engine up to 2500 rpms? It's been awhile.... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/headbang.gif)

I know READ THE FUCHING BOOK....it's at my buddies' shop and he's got his phone off..... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/cool_shades.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Joseph Mills
post Aug 7 2005, 05:57 PM
Post #2

on a Sonoma diet now...

Group: Members
Member No.: 39

Mike,

You probably already know this, but maybe someone else can benefit.

Once your idle is balanced with the air-screws, the next step is to adjust the left and right verticle tiny hex-bar linkage that attaches from your carbs to the large horizontal hex-bar. You want to insure the butterflies are opening the same amount for both rows of carbs. Incidently, valves need to be well adjusted and engine warm.

With linkage attached, loosen the locking nuts at both ends of the tiny hex-bar on the passenger side. Now by simply spinning the tiny hex-bar, and using the sync tool to measure by, you can easily increase, or decrease the opening of the butterflies to match those on the drivers side.

Try to get close numeric readings on both banks at 1500, 2000, 2500, 3000rpms. You will have to make repeated adjustments. You'll never get it to be perfect, but you can get it pretty close and it's worth spending some time with at this point, even if you have to walk away from it for a bit. It's a crucial step to eek out a bit of extra performance.

If it turns out that the 1k idle speed is off balance with the syncro tool at this point, don't worry about it.. so be it. You want to make power. You want the engine to pull strong as possible when you accelerate - and it will do so when both banks are balanced thru the acceleration range. You may be able to detect a slightly crisper note when you rev once you achieve it.

I use two syncro tools... makes it way easier and more accurate, but one will work fine too.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
!   What's gud flow for a carb using a syncrometer?   Aug 7 2005, 12:28 PM
SirAndy   http://www.914world.com/bbs2/h...   Aug 7 2005, 01:28 PM
!   Thanks....the air screws on ALL of them are way ou...   Aug 7 2005, 01:47 PM
trekkor     Aug 7 2005, 02:08 PM
trekkor   Also, start with the idle needles at 1 and 1/2 tur...   Aug 7 2005, 02:20 PM
!   Thanks....the air screws were all over the place.....   Aug 7 2005, 03:09 PM
rhodyguy   aasdf   Aug 7 2005, 07:14 PM
!   Just took it on a test/terrorize the 'hood dri...   Aug 7 2005, 07:18 PM
rhodyguy   mike, are you confusing the idle mixture screws wi...   Aug 7 2005, 08:47 PM
!   I was using the spring loaded ones.... ...   Aug 7 2005, 11:26 PM
Aaron Cox   your welcome honey.....   Aug 7 2005, 11:33 PM
!   All six ended up pulling 8 mg/h at 950 rpms....jus...   Aug 8 2005, 12:11 AM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 03:21 AM