Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Would this be a good lite duty welder, Chicago Electric
GaroldShaffer
post Aug 9 2005, 12:13 PM
Post #1

You bought another 914?

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 865
Region Association: None

My Harbor Freight flyer came in the mail yesterday (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/clap.gif)

I seen this welder and it has me thinking (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/blink.gif) I have NEVER welded anything before. I have had a few times in the past few years that I could have really used one or someone that had one. I don't have any real welding that needs to be done on the teener other than replacing the bottom section of the passenger side jack post plate. But I want one so here's the specs:

Chicago Eletric Welding System
87 AMP, 115 VOLT FLUX AND MIG WELDER

For mild steel, stainless steel, and aluminum. Weld with gas or perform flux cored gasless operations.

Welding current range: 25 to 87 amps
Input: single phase 115 volts, 60 Hz
Open voltage: 19 to 30
Duty cycle: 20% @ 75 amps, 45% @ 50 amps
Draws 21 amps @ 120 volts
Weldable wires: 0.023'' to 0.035'' steel and stainless steel, 0.030'' to 0.035'' aluminum, 0.030'' flux-cored

Includes: 2 lb. spool of flux cored wire, handheld face shield, brush hammer, fuse power line; Weight: 55.8 lbs.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Dr. Roger
post Aug 9 2005, 01:07 PM
Post #2

A bat out of hell.

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,533
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE (itsa914 @ Aug 9 2005, 10:13 AM)
My Harbor Freight flyer came in the mail yesterday  :clap:

I seen this welder and it has me thinking  :blink: I have NEVER welded anything before. I have had a few times in the past few years that I could have really used one or someone that had one. I don't have any real welding that needs to be done on the teener other than replacing the bottom section of the passenger side jack post plate. But I want one so here's the specs:

Chicago Eletric Welding System
87 AMP, 115 VOLT FLUX AND MIG WELDER

For mild steel, stainless steel, and aluminum. Weld with gas or perform flux cored gasless operations.

Welding current range: 25 to 87 amps
Input: single phase 115 volts, 60 Hz
Open voltage: 19 to 30
Duty cycle: 20% @ 75 amps, 45% @ 50 amps
Draws 21 amps @ 120 volts
Weldable wires: 0.023'' to 0.035'' steel and stainless steel, 0.030'' to 0.035'' aluminum, 0.030'' flux-cored

Includes: 2 lb. spool of flux cored wire, handheld face shield, brush hammer, fuse power line; Weight: 55.8 lbs.

It's a decent one IMHO. The infinite control is a plus compared to others with just low, med, and high..

I use mine on the highest setting most of the time as it is kinda weak as welders go.

I've had mine for four years with no problems. welded so many things, so many ways. It definately is a light duty machine....

The inert gas option is a plus.

I tested the 20% duty cycle of mine and it was absolutely true.

After the thing heats up, for every one minute of welding, it needed 4 minutes of cooling. A 10 minute rest usually resets the built in thermo protection.

I've done BBQ's to 3/16" steel. I did however get the largest wire tip it suggested.

For sheet metal they're great. I do weld like the guys at the O.C.C. and tack, tack, tack. =-)

My second welder is a 220V AC/DC reverse polarity stick welder for the thick knarly work. I wish that one was more portable..... (heavy beatch)
Got that one used on Craigslist. Half price and used NEVER.

I had parts start to come apart with the 110V welder. It became a pain in the @ss trying to find parts to repair it.

I don't know if i'd buy another 110V wire feed used just because I might inherit some little nagging problems. (Hey , reminds of a 914.....) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 03:10 AM