Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Fuel Tank and Master Cylinder Leaks--HELP!!, DIY or Mechanic Job for newbie??
2pointOH
post Oct 5 2005, 04:36 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,335

Hey all--

Smelling fuel and noticing fluid leaks under the 914 and had a mechanic inspect. Said I need to repair/recondition my fuel tank and my master cylinder is leaking fluid.

Regarding the tank--would it be better to have him repair this (send away and a 3-4 week project--don't know price yet), replce with NOS if available or try to recondition on my own??

Not sure on the Master Cylinder leaks--safe to drive or could my brakes fail at any time??

Also said 3 of my 4 wheels (custome Forgeline alloys) are bent and need fixed/reconditioned and then need to balance/align before repairing brakes--expected costs? Recomendations?

Thanks--John

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
914GT
post Oct 5 2005, 08:57 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,923
Region Association: Southwest Region

John,

If you're going to tackle these projects on your own I'd first try to better understand what the problems are. Is the master cylinder leaking from around where it's bolted to the body? If so, then it definitely requires a rebuild or replacement. I think new 19mm MCs run about $175. If it looks like the brake fluid is coming from the top of the MC, it's probably the rubber grommets on the reservoir lines are old or the lines need to be reseated into the top of the MC. Another possibility is the fluid is running down the reservoir lines from higher up. Check the reservoir and make sure it was not overfilled and spilling over, and that the two short rubber hoses are in good condition and the clamps are tight.

Gas odor is common on these cars so check on the vapor recovery tank hoses and make sure they are all attached and in good condition. Look or feel under the tank through the access hole and see if there's gas actually leaking underneath. If you're going to pull it I would syphon or pump as much gas as you can into 5 gal gas cans. If it needs repair you can check a local radiator shop and they can boil them out and fix the holes - unless it's really rusted out. Check the threaded fittings under the tank and reseal them as they will seep gas after 30 years. Replace the rubber fuel lines. They connect to steel lines under the tank before they transition to plastic further into the tunnel. Good luck and be careful around the gas.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th June 2024 - 03:06 AM