Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 5-lugs, wheel sizes and flares, Well maybe not flares but...
boxsterfan
post Aug 12 2003, 09:54 PM
Post #1

914's are kewl

Group: Members
Member No.: 791
Region Association: Northern California

I have been working out the details and specs for a 3.2 conversion. I would like to run big enough tires, but maybe not sure about the GT flare looks. A little throttle steer won't bother me, but I do want good to very good grip.

What size tires will fit under a rolled fender lip or are there also smaller flares for the rear? 15x7, 16x7? 205/??/?? tires?

How have most of you done the rear 5-lug conversion? I have an early 914 which Pelican says can be drilled out to 5-lug. What options do I have?

Thanks,
boxsterfan
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
John Kelly
post Aug 13 2003, 08:34 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 640

Hi Andyrew,

The method you describe will not give much if any clearance without distortion.

It sounds as if you want the shoulder area (top) of the fender out further than the flare I've pictured. This is easy to accomplish by simply stretching the top of the fender more with the hammer and bag, and then blending that shape into the area over the wheel opening.

You do not even need my video to get a decent job this way. The video just makes it easier and also makes it possible for you to do it without filler if you desire. If you wanted to, you could use just a ballpeen hammer and nothing else....you would have some changing of the door gaps by not backing up the hammer with a shotbag or shot dolly ($15), but it would still be better than cutting and welding. It is also not too difficult to make a 2x4 with the proper angle on it to fit inside the rear quarter...pound on it with a hammer to get the door gap back to where it was. I've been flaring cars for a long time, and the ballpeen, and shot dolly method is by far the best way I've come up with yet. I prefer it even to the flares that I make for sale. Just a lot easier to do.

John www.ghiaspecialties.com
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th June 2024 - 01:00 AM