Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> FWD transaxle/engine swap, or Best Threads for SBC Transaxle Option
funcrew
post Nov 1 2005, 12:52 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,038

If this has been beat to death already on the forum, please post a link to the thread(s).

I would like to convert a 914 to SBC power, but Renegade and others claim that I will end up spending $10K for a modified 930 trans to handle the torque.

It sure seems like plunking in a front-wheel-drive engine/trans such as a 265HP Maxima 3.5L would be a cheap way to build a medium-power 914, without spending a fortune on beefing or upgrading the Porsche trans. Obviously, axles, shift linkage, etc. would be some work.

Neo's list of engine swaps did not list many front-wheel-drive engine/transaxle combos adapted to the 914:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=...f=2&t=20374&hl=

I'm sure I'm overlooking the difficulties involved here, please educate me.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
funcrew
post Nov 1 2005, 08:32 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,038

Thanks for your feedback! Nice forum you have here.

OK, I'm convinced the transverse eng/trans is beyond my Frankenstein skills.

300HP in ~2300lb is way plenty enough, no problem there. I had read several first-hand opinions that the 901 trans couldn't handle that power level, even if you drove like a grandma. However, if members here are running numerous SBC/901 setups, that's pretty good evidence it can work.

Any dissenting opinions about the 901 from members here?

To answer several questions:

Current 914: None - My first autocross in my Toyota Echo (108HP/1950LB, almost exactly equal to 914/6 in that regard) is set for this Sunday, 11/6/05. FYI, in the Las Vegas SCCA region, a guy in a 90HP 914 kicks all the new water-cooled Porsches and most of the 911's and 928's (and all of the non-Porsches, naturally) into the weeds.

Other mods: Don't want any body mods at all - why mess with perfection? Would like to upgrade brakes, if feasible. Spring rates for whatever engine is used. Big sway bars. Nuclear attack shocks. Plenty of other needed stuff I haven't thought of yet.

Possible engine: Cheap SBC crate engines w/ aluminum heads now make in the mid-300 HP range, but I have not come up with a lower-powered (preferably lighter) option, other than a late-model Japanese V6. I was already aware of the Kennedy adapters, but that's obviously just the beginning of the work. Sticking with the SBC would bring the benefit of a large installed population to provide guidance and lessons learned.

In the end, out of sheer laziness, I will probably buy someone else's completed swap project and call it good. To make that work, I need to be able to assess the quality of the design and workmanship of the swap. Still worried about 901 trans durability, though...
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th June 2024 - 02:41 PM