Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> FWD transaxle/engine swap, or Best Threads for SBC Transaxle Option
funcrew
post Nov 1 2005, 12:52 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,038

If this has been beat to death already on the forum, please post a link to the thread(s).

I would like to convert a 914 to SBC power, but Renegade and others claim that I will end up spending $10K for a modified 930 trans to handle the torque.

It sure seems like plunking in a front-wheel-drive engine/trans such as a 265HP Maxima 3.5L would be a cheap way to build a medium-power 914, without spending a fortune on beefing or upgrading the Porsche trans. Obviously, axles, shift linkage, etc. would be some work.

Neo's list of engine swaps did not list many front-wheel-drive engine/transaxle combos adapted to the 914:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=...f=2&t=20374&hl=

I'm sure I'm overlooking the difficulties involved here, please educate me.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Sammy
post Nov 1 2005, 09:35 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 178

I disagree.
I have run a V8 914 in AX.
it was fast. Much faster than my other Porsches at AX.
The last time I ran the V8 914 I finished 7th overall out of 60 cars, and 10 of them were driven by PCA instructors (and I suck at AX driving). i was less that 1.2 seconds off TTOD.
That was with completely stock 30 year old suspension except for shocks and rear springs and 205 tires. No fancy shiny parts.
I was running rock hard 10+ year old michelins on the front and victoracers on the rear. Perfect balance. neutral on braking, throttle oversteer that was completely controllable.
maybe it was the tire combination, maybe it was the perfect car to match my way too agressive driving style, whatever. it was very fast around the cones.

With similar suspension setup a I would easily beat a 914/4 (no matter how built up the engine was) in that car unless was I was up against some super-duper driver who beat me on talent alone.
Yes, you will be in x class or somerthing and some places might not let you run at all.
All that means is you might not get a ribbon or whatever. It won't keep you from comparing your times to the times of others, even the TTOD car.

I will say that I didn't care for the car and couldn't wait to sell it because I didn't like the personality of it, but to say it didn't handle very well would be incorrect.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd June 2024 - 05:23 PM