Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Help with SCCA GT-3 914-6 GT
John Zimmer
post Dec 4 2005, 07:53 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,169

I am in need of some,alot of technical help regarding the fabrication of a 914-6 GT(clone) SCCA GT-3 club racer. I have decieded to have camp 914 put the project together. Craig knows what he is doing with respect to the flares, roll-cage, coolers, suspension etc.. I need help with some of the tricks you SCCA guys have developed with regards to engine type, displacement, set up etc.. What would be the best, longest lasting, most bang for the buck motor I could run? I have a GCR hand-book from the SCCA but I am finding it hard to determine the best route to take. All technical help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your time.

Regards,

John Zimmer
FF/FC guy until Sep. 2006 (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/screwy.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Thorshammer
post Dec 4 2005, 09:37 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,335

John,

I really don't want to rain on your parade, so I will ask a few questions first.

1. Do you want/plan to be competitive on a national level or a regional one.

2. Is this build going to be a maximum effort build or an affordable one.

3. Are you okay with an open top car, or must you have a roof over you head.

Here are my intial thoughts.

In GT3 the 914-6 is not competitive. It may be possible to build a GT3 car that will handle as well as most of the current cars, but it will not be a car that you add a rollcage to a current tub and retain a rear trailing arm. With the current spec line I would say you might be able to attain 230-235 hp, but it would not be a long lasting engine, and the price would be very expensive, 20-25 K. The current Toyotas will make in excess of 265 hp or better. This is a significant difference. The car that will have any chance in GT 3 will have to be a complete tube frame car, and very well built, so you are probably talking Huffaker. also big coin. GT3 can be either really competitive or hardly competitive, depending on how many cars are in your area, also you want to consider that GT3 many times runs in the same group as GT1. So it is possible you could be on the track at the same time as some extremely fast V8 powered tube frame cars that will have closing speeds at Road America that are prolly over 80 mph. No thanks.

Now, I am not trying to get you to do what I am doing, but to consider E Production. Heres why.

1.The car is competitive if built well

2. The cost to build one will be much less than a competitive GT3 car.

3.I will provide all information you will need to build at least what I have, If you have an interest in a car like mine.

4. The build will retain a "tub" whereas a GT3 car should be a tube car.

5. The development time for a tub car is reasonable, especially when several of us are running them.And we have alot of info.

6. I only know one guy that runs a Gt3 car and it is horribly uncompetitive, I would hate to spend my money and not even be close, and I think that is the case.

If you are interested please PM me

Erik Madsen
914-6 EP
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th June 2024 - 09:44 PM