Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> New Oil on the Market
solex
post Jan 4 2006, 08:15 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,439
Region Association: North East States

Got this in a newsletter this morning. Seems a bit expensive, I wonder if it is worth the money.

Liquid Cosworth
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Jake Raby
post Jan 4 2006, 05:33 PM
Post #2

Engine Surgeon

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

The wild thing is the fact I used the suntan oil as a joke and it worked extremely well.. Back in 2002 a local VW show I attend and do engine blows at was having a "Beach" theme... In the middle of Tennessee! I always like to do crazy things so I had the wild idea of preping a blow motor and then changing the oil to a mixture of Panama Jack and Hawaiian tropic for the theme..

I fired the engine up and it ran at wide open throttle for more than 5 solid minutes with no cooling system, not even an oil cooler! Typically the oil will get so hot that it becomes useless and bearings start spinning and a rod comes through the case- not the case! The engine ran and ran until a piece of a piston chipped off and got sucked into the oil pump, seizing the gears and killing the oil pressure.... The chip was still there when I tore thee engine down....

The odd thing was normally when I tear these babies down after a big BLOW the oil smells burnt to the point it will almost turn your stomach- you can smell it outside the shop in some instances when the case is split. The suntan oil still smelled fine, not burned at all and it was still clear, not dark brown or black, it seemed not to break down at all compared to engine oil.

I learned a lot from that experience for sure, no one believes that it will work!

I won't even bother telling you how much power it frees up on the dyno, we'll just say it's " notable".

Sometimes we benefit from doing off the wall stuff!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd June 2024 - 07:50 PM