Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> OT But 914 board related..., I need a new laptop
Mrs. K
post Feb 11 2006, 11:55 AM
Post #1

Grieve we must, but celebrate a great life!

Group: Birthday Fairy
Member No.: 2,166

Hi Guys and Gals,
So I am in the market for a new laptop....mine currently is a Dell Inspirion with a Celeron processor
( can you spell S L O W )

So I was wondering what recomendations you all might have.

I looked at the new Sony Vaio FE 550 with the built in web cam and mic...and their new "X brite" screen. It's pretty cool. I also want at least 100 G HD.

All suggestions appreciated (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wub.gif)

Lisa (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/type.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Hawktel
post Feb 11 2006, 10:07 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 506

I'm going to slam macs.

Don't get a mac. Everything you can do on a Mac, you can do on a Windoze box. Most of the time, you can do it for cheaper. I talk to alot of people. (As a example, one of my hats is I do the email/phone support for united airlines flight and pilot's staffing program, when a windows person calls in, its a 10 minute call. When a Mac person calls in, its a 2 hour call, hawt!)

People say Mac's don't get viruses. That's mostly right. They get very few because no one bothers to make viruses for macs. And they don't do it because macs are a small segment of the market. Like 6% now?

Think about the implications of that.

94% of the time, the software everyone else has, isn't going to work on your mac.

94% of the time, the cheap tech help that 96% of the population enjoys, your not going to be enjoying.

94% of the time, your never going to get a virus, so when you do get something, 94% of the time the poor shmuck on the other end of the phone is going to be saying... "hell if I know how to fix it"

94% of the time, when the office computer guy/friendly neighbor/ 8year old nephew/S.O is able to help with what ever the problem is, if it was a windows machine.

Windoze has issues. Some big. Say they get one big issue every 6 months.

Macs are much more stable. So say they get one issue every year.

The important point here is that mac's are computers. They do have a faiure rate. And to be honest, ussualy that failure if user error. But the end result, is a failure.

Windows goes tits up so often, everyone knows a little on how to fix them. Mac's, well when they break, no one is your friend.

So the net result is, that Windows girl is is back up and running after both instances, perhaps 2- 20minute phone calls to support. The mac person is back up and running, after a 2 hour conversation with a geek.

Just IMHO.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 08:47 AM