Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> How long can you leave it in...?, Before gas goes bad...
sherman1
post Mar 29 2006, 01:58 PM
Post #1

Team McLaren

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,697

OK, minds outta the gutter !

We're talking gasoline in the 914 tank - How long can a 1/4 -1/2 tank of gas sit in the tank, while the car is in storage, or under restoration (whatever) before it turns bad & begins to look like old varnish?

I know I can drain the gas out, into 5 gallon containers, but I wanted to avoid that if possible.

I figured about 4-5 months before it begins to go bad, but not sure.
How about using a gas-additive, or octane boost?
Any gas experts here? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif)

Thanks!

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/beerchug.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
ArtechnikA
post Mar 30 2006, 05:42 AM
Post #2

rich herzog

Group: Members
Member No.: 513
Region Association: None

QUOTE (Michael Oberg @ Mar 29 2006, 11:51 PM)
A few months ago I helped dig my parent's '79 Dodge Powerwagon out of its 9 year old spot...

it;s important to note *all* the conditions.

sure, there are stories of old gas lasting. but gas was a lot different - much less volatile - "only" 10 years ago. the current question involves contemporary gasoline.

second - sure - lots of people - including me - successfully store gasoline over the winter in cold climates. a cold climate winter is a far different environment than a summer in California where the original poster is located.

last - 9 years is nowhere close to the record :-) ... my yellow car had almost a full tank when it had its track incident in 1981. when i drained what was left - in 2005 - it was more like varnish and stank quite badly...
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th June 2024 - 02:14 PM