Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> '78 930 Turbo Brakes, looks cool, why not?
kdfoust
post Jun 6 2006, 07:09 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 71
Region Association: Southern California

So I'm browsing around on EBAY today and run across a turbo caliper from '78. Is there any big downside to using a set of them on my conversion car? Obviously, I've got to find a set first... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Here's a link to the auction so you can see what caliper I'm talking about.

Later,
Kevin
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
TimT
post Jun 8 2006, 03:48 AM
Post #2

retired

Member No.: 313

How do you figure the Wilwoods are at the thermal max

thats easy, its not the caliper that is being overly taxed... its the rotors. Putting a nice big caliper, with 4 pistons, larger pad area, and more aggresive pads on a stockish rotor taxes the thermal reserves of the brake rotor..

The rotor is what gets rid of all (most) the energy (heat) that you generate from decelerating a car

a really nice brake system for 914s that is cost effective, but unfortunately doesnt have much bling, is a take off set from a carrera. Can be had for cheap, rotors are cheap, and makes a matched system.
+Quote Post
Matt Romanowski
post Jun 8 2006, 08:31 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 1,507

QUOTE(TimT @ Jun 8 2006, 01:48 AM) *

How do you figure the Wilwoods are at the thermal max

thats easy, its not the caliper that is being overly taxed... its the rotors. Putting a nice big caliper, with 4 pistons, larger pad area, and more aggresive pads on a stockish rotor taxes the thermal reserves of the brake rotor..

The rotor is what gets rid of all (most) the energy (heat) that you generate from decelerating a car

a really nice brake system for 914s that is cost effective, but unfortunately doesnt have much bling, is a take off set from a carrera. Can be had for cheap, rotors are cheap, and makes a matched system.

This brings up an interesting point that I've never been able to resolve. People will argue that if you are stopping a certain weight car in a set distance, regardless of brake size, it generates the same amount of heat. I'm not an engineer (shadetree doesn't count (IMG:style_emoticons/default/burnout.gif) ), but that sounds resonable to me.

If that is the case, then the size of the caliper, number of pistons, etc. deosn't really matter. That said, as long as the rotor can handle the thermal loads, the caliper isn't that important.

In my mind, the biggest problem 90% of people have is lack of airflow. Heck, I got stock brakes to work on my car with ~175 horse out of a 2270. At places like Watkins Glen, Pocono, Limerock and Sebring they weren't a problem. At NHIS, I could overheat them in about 15 minutes, but NHIS is one of the hardest tracks on brakes in the country.

Matt
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
Matt Romanowski  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th June 2024 - 12:31 AM