Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> SIX Conversions - Any with AC?, Looking to do a 3.0 w/AC
3d914
post Aug 9 2006, 06:16 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,191
Region Association: Southwest Region

I'm looking to do a 3.0 six, but need to maintain the AC from the four. Likely I'll need a different compressor and mounting scheme, but anyone BTDT?

TIA,
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
ClayPerrine
post Aug 9 2006, 07:26 PM
Post #2

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

The compressor mount is custom made. The belt is an off the shelf item at FLAPS. The pulleys come from Clewett engineering. The idlers and the compressor come from IceAc. The tensioner is a timing belt tensioner for a Nissan 300ZX motor.

I added a vertical bracket to the Rich Johnson nosecone mount and installed the idler pulleys. The compressor mount sits over the valve cover, and 2 tall spacer nuts replace the valve cover nuts.

I am going to make a second version that uses aluminum, and a automatic tensioner.

But this version is on my car and running.

When I first got it running, I had a problem with pulley alignment, and it ate a belt. I changed the belt in a parking lot in a business suit and tie, in less than 10 minutes, without getting anything but my fingers dirty. The only tool I used was a 13mm wrench to loosen the tensioner. Try that on a standard 914/6 belt setup.

The only bitch I have with it is that you have to pull the compressor to change the #1 spark plug. I am going to rework that in the second version.

More picts...

Pulleys close up:
Attached Image

Compressor and Tensioner close up:
Attached Image

Rear of the compressor mount:
Attached Image

I later drilled a hole in the bracket above the spark plug. The bracket pushed on the plug wire and damaged the top of it.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
3d914   SIX Conversions - Any with AC?   Aug 9 2006, 06:16 PM
lapuwali   You should be able to find a 3.0 with an AC compre...   Aug 9 2006, 06:26 PM
grasshopper   I dont know much about it, but I think I remember ...   Aug 9 2006, 06:27 PM
ClayPerrine   The 911 compressor mounts can't be used in a 9...   Aug 9 2006, 06:55 PM
grasshopper   Awsome! :clap: Now I can put AC in my car. Whe...   Aug 9 2006, 07:01 PM
ClayPerrine   The compressor mount is custom made. The belt is a...   Aug 9 2006, 07:26 PM
3d914   Thanks James & Clay, Clay - excellent little ...   Aug 9 2006, 07:33 PM
grasshopper   Awsome!! :clap: So I am assuming the tensi...   Aug 9 2006, 07:34 PM
grasshopper   BTW, how much stress does the compressor put on th...   Aug 9 2006, 07:37 PM
lapuwali   Clay, that is absolutely awesome. If I needed A/C...   Aug 9 2006, 07:50 PM
pete-stevers   clay can you post so pics of the cooling coil and ...   Aug 9 2006, 07:52 PM
ClayPerrine  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd June 2024 - 10:51 PM