Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Lets talk BIG front brakes., Need your wisdom and experience.
JPB
post Oct 18 2006, 04:24 PM
Post #1

The Crimson Rocket smiles in your general direction.

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,107

I have BMW 320i front breaks and was wondering if they bolt straight to the back break location. If I wanted to remove my Pvalve and use Eric's T, is there a front break that can handle the setup as mentioned. What would be a close second, with an after market adjustable Pvalve, if the rears hava to a mucha MMMMMMMACHIZMOoooo!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif) Speak oh all knowing sages of good fortune..........
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Eric_Shea
post Oct 19 2006, 09:50 AM
Post #2

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Love you to Joe (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)

Modern, advanced and safety are all good words. I'm just concerned they can be misleading. "Now I've got to run out and get some modern, advanced calipers because they're safer."

Modern is true. There's 36 years in there but... they're still disk brakes. I don't see any advances that would allow one to stop a 914 faster. The only advancement with modern calipers has been the addition of electronic control like anti-lock modulation. This takes the bad driver out of the equation. In a panic situation, most people will slam it down. Anti-lock brakes have been a good thing. I've yet to see that adapted to a 914. The most modern ones you can stuff under a teener today will still stop it in the same distance those old 36 year old calipers will. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Advanced... true. Again, 36 years, 4 pots, 6 pots, aluminum to save weight but... they're still calipers with pistons and the exact same brake fluid you can buy off the shelf. None of those advancements mean anything when stopping a 914. The most advanced ones you can stuff under a teener today will still stop it in the same distance those old 36 year old calipers will. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Saftey... that'll scare people. On one hand, if viewed in light, this is an oxymoron. Brakes = Saftey. I'm not sure how a modern, advanced caliper with pistons and fluid is safer than a 36 year old (well maintained) caliper with pistons and fluid. I honestly don't see any saftey advances in the calipers. Electronics, such as the anti-lock technology discussed earlier, yes. There are pad sensors now-a-days that let you know when your pads are getting scary but I've yet to see anyone rig that light into the dash. The safest ones you can stuff under a teener today will still stop it in the same distance those safe old 36 year old calipers will. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Let me revise my bottom line a bit: Brian Redman in JPB's car with the same tires and a well set up and extremely safe stock brake system and Brian Redman in JPB's car with the same tires and the most modern, advanced and safest brakes you can find, will stop within the same distance. The difference is money.

I just want people to know that there is absolutely nothing wrong with a stock brake system that is in proper operating condition. If you feel a need to go big. Go big. Do it wisely. If you think you can outsmart a Porsche engineer... go for it.

I've said this before: Do youself a favor and head to an HRS event. Walk through the pits and take pictures of Frank Beck's 914 (specifically the S-Calipers bolted on the front and the M-Calipers on the rear). Find Bill Lewis Jr.'s car... same brakes. In fact, every car in that class will have those brakes. It's mandated. Those two will be battling it out for the top spot. They're two of the most advanced 914 race cars you'll find. Watch the action. They're fast. It's exciting to see 914's go that fast. If you think you need more brake than that... Godspeed.

OK... I'm gonna shut up now. Right about now, Joe's fantasizing about slamm'n on the middle pedal and watching me fly through the passengers side of the windshield. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
JPB   Lets talk BIG front brakes.   Oct 18 2006, 04:24 PM
brant   tough Break.... ha... made myself laugh. big br...   Oct 18 2006, 04:30 PM
jhadler   :agree: Brant beat me to it... The question is ...   Oct 18 2006, 04:32 PM
JPB   You fellas don't miss a freeking detail, I lov...   Oct 18 2006, 04:42 PM
Brad Roberts   I helped you out a little bit.. I changed the tit...   Oct 18 2006, 04:54 PM
Jeroen  
  Oct 18 2006, 06:39 PM
Headrage  
  Oct 18 2006, 08:17 PM
Series9  
  Oct 18 2006, 08:52 PM
Series9   Fair enough. However, there are modern, advanced ...   Oct 18 2006, 09:16 PM
Mueller   what I didn't see JBP mention was does he have...   Oct 19 2006, 01:51 AM
Sammy   IMHO, it is very easy to have too much brakes. Bl...   Oct 19 2006, 08:36 AM
yeti   I run 930 brakes front and Gt style with vented ro...   Oct 19 2006, 09:04 AM
Eric_Shea   Love you to Joe :wub: Modern, advanced and safety...   Oct 19 2006, 09:50 AM
Joe Ricard   I get such a chuckle from reading these BREAK thre...   Oct 19 2006, 10:57 AM
davep  
  Oct 20 2006, 01:52 PM
Eric_Shea   He called you fat... for sure. :popcorn:   Oct 20 2006, 01:54 PM
trekkor   How did I miss this one? I have ALL stock rebuilt...   Oct 20 2006, 02:35 PM
JPB   Crap, I just got a break on my brakes! Sorry ...   Oct 20 2006, 05:40 PM
Brad Roberts   Eric, Call me in 10min (4:55pm) if you see this. ...   Oct 20 2006, 05:49 PM
Crazyhippy   If you remove the P-valve, do NOT follow me, i don...   Oct 20 2006, 05:52 PM
JPB   Awsome!! :trophy: :beer1: I'm in wi...   Oct 20 2006, 05:56 PM
xitspd   BRAKES! I agree with Joe. I COVET YOUR FRONT...   Oct 20 2006, 07:14 PM
Sammy   Putting huge brakes on a 914 that rarely sees more...   Oct 20 2006, 08:10 PM
jhadler   Wow, go on travel for a couple days and look what ...   Oct 20 2006, 08:53 PM
Howard R   Dicks are bigger south of the equator.   Oct 21 2006, 12:49 AM
Howard R   qerwq   Oct 21 2006, 12:50 AM
Howard R   qrwe   Oct 21 2006, 12:50 AM
Howard R   qwetr   Oct 21 2006, 12:51 AM
Howard R   sedtrhy   Oct 21 2006, 12:52 AM
Howard R   dfgj   Oct 21 2006, 12:52 AM
2 Pages V  1 2 >

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th June 2024 - 12:23 PM