Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Reccomendations on ways to learn how to drive better, books, videos?
TonyAKAVW
post Oct 30 2006, 01:17 PM
Post #1

That's my ride.

Group: Members
Member No.: 166
Region Association: None

I had my first autocross experience this weekend and had a lot of fun. Considering my car's setup I should be able to do much better than I did. I'm not saying my car is well setup, but that I've got close to zero skills.

What I'd like to do now is start learning some of the basics of racing, vehicle dynamics, etc. I want to at least have the theory down and get some idea of what I should be doing.

So I'm looking for reccomendations on books or videos or anything that can help me get started with this.

-Tony
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
TonyAKAVW
post Oct 30 2006, 05:06 PM
Post #2

That's my ride.

Member No.: 166

I realize that track time is important, but at this point I really just need to know the basics, like how to determine a good line, when to turn in, when to use the brakes, how to position myself on the track. Other basic things I don't know are how a car reacts when going through turns, just basic physics. Also, how to drive with a car that oversteers/understeers, and how I would even determine which of those my car is doing.

I think once I have a theoretical sense of things, a basic understanding of how suspension really does its job, etc., I'll be able to say 'i should have applied the brake later/earlier, I should make this point the apex of a turn, etc.

Then maybe I can practice this stuff on my PS2. As it is, I can hardly stay on the track when playing GT4. I realize that a video game is probably not a good way to learn driving technique, but at least its a place to try out the basics.

I'm going to try and get to more autocross events and DE events as time permits. I've still got lots of things I want to do with my car, especially in the suspension department (BJ can attest to this). So for the next year or at least the next few months I'll probably be spending a lot of time getting the car suitable for driving.

-Tony
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Oct 30 2006, 06:11 PM
Post #3

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45

QUOTE(TonyAKAVW @ Oct 30 2006, 03:06 PM) *

I realize that track time is important, but at this point I really just need to know the basics, like how to determine a good line, when to turn in, when to use the brakes, how to position myself on the track. Other basic things I don't know are how a car reacts when going through turns, just basic physics. Also, how to drive with a car that oversteers/understeers, and how I would even determine which of those my car is doing.

I think once I have a theoretical sense of things, a basic understanding of how suspension really does its job, etc., I'll be able to say 'i should have applied the brake later/earlier, I should make this point the apex of a turn, etc.
-Tony

Starting at ground zero, experienced AXers tell me that the average guy 4-5 years of heavy AX competition to reach to near his potential. It's all about butt time and observation....we're talking about the driving part, not the car. I've only seen one semi-natural. I later found out he had 5-6 years of karting....so much for my "natural".

You can get some basic tips from a book, but applying them takes practice....then some really fast guy comes along and does things differently...then what?
Play stations are just that....but hay, give it a try....it can't hurt much.

The best thing you can do is avail yourself of a good instructor. The first thing he should do is make sure you can navigate the course sucessfully....nobody goes fast without knowing where he is going. Some of your hero instructors forget the blur they went thru at their first 4-6 AXs. After 4-6, things slow down enuff so's you can start looking ahead plus your course memorization skills will have improved.....then you can worry about lines, setting up for a section, braking late, how soon you can roll on the gas, where you can make time and where you just "get thru".

Watch the fast guys. See how they attack a section....you gots the time while working a course, it ain't all chasing cones & schmoozing with your fellow workers....don't waste it. Should you be out there with a hotdog driver, picking his/her brain is allowed (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

These are my opinions and they are mine.
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
TonyAKAVW   Reccomendations on ways to learn how to drive better   Oct 30 2006, 01:17 PM
Crazyhippy   I learned quite a bit from a motorcycle book entit...   Oct 30 2006, 01:21 PM
Dan (Almaden Valley)   Secrets of Solo Racing...By Henry (Hank) Watts. Gr...   Oct 30 2006, 01:26 PM
Randal  
  Oct 30 2006, 01:56 PM
Toast   As they alwasy say, the best way to get better is ...   Oct 30 2006, 02:35 PM
grantsfo   This one is decent: http://www.amazon.com/Speed-S...   Oct 30 2006, 03:07 PM
ChrisNPDrider   That "Solo Racing" book is highly recomm...   Oct 30 2006, 03:27 PM
Leo Imperial   :trophy: Man I was nervous my first time out. I co...   Oct 30 2006, 03:29 PM
914forme   Henry's book, good as is twist of a wrist. Bu...   Oct 30 2006, 04:41 PM
Crazyhippy   DROMO 1 Run from Joes T4T BBQ!!!!...   Oct 30 2006, 04:53 PM
TonyAKAVW   I realize that track time is important, but at thi...   Oct 30 2006, 05:06 PM
J P Stein  
  Nov 7 2006, 04:04 PM
anthony   IMO you need more than just seat time. You also ne...   Nov 7 2006, 09:16 PM
Dan (Almaden Valley)   Anthony thanks for the kind words for myself and f...   Nov 7 2006, 09:49 PM
grantsfo  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 08:08 AM