Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> subie engine
914 subie
post Nov 18 2006, 11:58 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,233

I recently purchased a 72 914 in a big basket, but with a cherry body. I'm thinking of putting a subie engine in it , but I would like to take a look at one already completed. Any in the SF Bay Area that I could take a look at?
Been on different websites and seen some Renegade conversions but would like to see the real deal and find out how much aggro is really involved.
Email me at hansenjoel@yahoo.com or phone 415/516-8217 (cell). Thx. JH
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
mike_the_man
post Nov 30 2006, 04:58 PM
Post #2

I like stuff!

Group: Members
Member No.: 809

QUOTE(TonyAKAVW @ Nov 30 2006, 01:29 PM) *

Now, as far as what is more cost effective.... It really depends a lot on what you want out of it. If you want >150 HP its quite possibly cheaper to do a Subaru conversion. Below 150 HP it depends on how much you are willing to do yourself, etc. There are other things besides horsepower to consider though. If you are interested in keeping the car true to its origins, a Type4 might be better for you. If you want long term reliability, modern EFI, easy power upgrades, etc., then the Subaru engine will probably be more cost effective. (All those things are possible with a Type4, just not cheaply)

If you are happy with 100 HP and the reliability of a well sorted D-Jet or Megasquirt system (which can be quite good) then rebuild the 2.0. It will probably be cheaper than doing a Subaru conversion unless you are bound and determined to do it as cheaply as possible.

-Tony

I'm not too concerned with power at this point. May main issue is reliability. As much as I like the D-Jet, it's starting to scare me a bit (MPS prices, etc). I figure my two options are rebuild the stock 2.0L and install some type of modern FI. I was looking at SDS on Jake's site. I think a little too much DIY with the MegaSquirt, so I'm looking for more of a bolt on solution.

The other option is to convert to a Subie motor and get all of the reliability and potential power upgrades that come with it.

So, if I can convert to a Subie for around the same cost as a rebuild and FI, then the subie conversion is the way to go. But if it will be significantly cheaper to rebuild the stock 2.0L, then I guess I should go that way.

Either way I'm thinking this ain't gonna be cheap. Better pull out the calculator.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th June 2024 - 01:17 PM