Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> help in Dayton Ohio needed
dflesburg
post Dec 25 2006, 08:07 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,896
Region Association: None

i could really use the help from someone who has set valves on a 911 motor. I have to set my valves and have never done it.

if you live in or near Dayton and wouldn't mind helping me for a couple hours I would appreciate it.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
John
post Dec 27 2006, 01:56 PM
Post #2

member? what's a member?

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,615
Region Association: None

Remove all valve covers and spark plugs (it makes turning the engine over easier).

You find TDC (compression stroke) #1 cyl. One of the notches will be aligned with the engine case.

With a cold engine (yours hasn't run for quite some time, so we will assume it is cold), insert the feeler gauge between the swivel elephant foot and the end of the valve stem. If it is loose, tighten it by loosening the jam nut and screwing in the adjuster until you can just move and insert the feeler gauge. If it is too tight to insert the feeler gauge, loosen it until you can insert the feeler gauge. When adjusted, tighten the jam nut.

Do this with both valves on #1 cylinder.

When complete with #1 cylinder, turn the engine in the direction of rotation (hint the fan sucks air in and blows it over the alternator and cylinders) until the next notch lines up with the crankcase seam.

This will bring the next cylinder to TDC compression stroke (check the firing order and go do that cylinder).

Keep doing this to all 6 cylinders (it will take 2 revolutions of the crankshaft to do them all).

Reinstall your valve covers and spark plugs.

Your books should also provide some directions/instructions.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd June 2024 - 01:16 AM