Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> OT: Phase Conversion, For running a compressor
McMark
post Jan 31 2007, 02:58 AM
Post #1

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

I have a 7.5 HP vane type compressor that I am researching how to run on single phase power. Swapping to a single phase motor is not an option. Anyone have any knowledge of sizing a phase converter? It looks like I can find rotary phase converters that say 7.5 HP for around $600. But I don't know if this is one of those situations where I really should be getting a 10 HP converter for the 'extra overhead power'. Advice?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
r_towle
post Jan 31 2007, 02:24 PM
Post #2

Custom Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

This is a quote from a web site I found..
I had the capacitor type rotary pahse convertor (another motor)
I just came in, turned on the power and this motor sat in the corner and ran all day long (you can turn it on and off as needed, just wait for it)

Again, this is really normal practice for an industrial electrician that does alot of commercial work....3 phase power is not everywhere...so they all have run across this issue. I hired a guy, he made it happen.

Question
I would appreciate any information regarding building a rotary phase converter.

Forum Responses
Do you mean, like, from scratch? I don't think you mean that!

What you could do is get a motor and generator and connect them together. Is that what you mean? What capacity do you need (how many HP is your load)? Is it for just one machine or several? I assume you are going from 1 phase to 3 phase. What voltage--same on both sides?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are 2 basic routes you can take. One is to use a small hp single phase motor to get a large 3 phase motor spinning. Once spinning, the 3 phase motor will continue to spin by feeding 220 single phase to 2 of the 3 legs. The 3rd leg will produce the 3 phase 3rd leg you need for your 3 phase machinery. Once the 3 phase motor (the one generating the 3rd leg) is spinning, you will need to disconnect it from the small hp single phase motor that started it spinning. One way people typically do this is by having the small motor on a slide base that you can move toward the larger motor, subsequently slacking the belt that connects the two.
The other method is a bit more complex, and takes more electrical skills. You can build a capacitor start system for the 3 phase motor, eliminating the need for the small hp motor to get it spinning. These capacitors will have to be matched to the 3 phase motor you will be using to generate the 3rd leg. By being capacitor started, the rotary converter will be "instant on", versus the slow "up to speed" arrangement that results from the small motor start up system.

I will emphasize this now: if you don't completely understand this brief explanation, then you probably don't have the electrical background to proceed. If that is the case, either purchase a commercially made rotary converter, or hire an industrially experienced electrician to put the converter together for you.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 05:29 PM