Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Road trip to Austin from NYC, wanna help me plan a route
turboman808
post Mar 1 2007, 11:21 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,505
Region Association: North East States

Heading down to Austin not this weekend but the next. Giving myself 3 days to get there so I am up to any interesting spots. Especialy honky tonks with bikers and fist fights!. LOL

But yeah any cool roads and places I should see?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
type47
post Mar 1 2007, 02:21 PM
Post #2

Viermeister

Group: Members
Member No.: 994
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

welcome to the Washington, DC area. i'd be glad to be a contact within 40 miles of DC. if your route includes Rt 95, Rt 495, Rt 66 or the DC area, avoid rush "hour" to save the clutch.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Mar 1 2007, 09:01 PM
Post #3

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(type47 @ Mar 1 2007, 03:21 PM) *

welcome to the Washington, DC area. i'd be glad to be a contact within 40 miles of DC. if your route includes Rt 95, Rt 495, Rt 66 or the DC area, avoid rush "hour" to save the clutch.

If you are going towards Austin TX, start heading west right out of New York. Do yourself a favor, and don't get any where near the Philly, Baltimore, DC corridor on 95. You may miss the rush on one, but you will hit it on the others, and then it is the suck.

Rt US81 is always a pretty drive. It will route you away from the hell that is the above corridore and traffic. It will put you parellel to Skyline Drive though the Shenendoahs in VA (and it is totally worth taking the Skyline Drive detour, though it will add a few miles to your trip). US 81 is a long damn road, taking you roughly in the direction that you want to go.

Check out "Natural Bridge" in SW Virginia (right off 81) It is freak'n amazing. George Washington "found" it while he was working as a surveyer before the revolution. He carved his initials into the rock, and they are still there.

Depending on what route you take, going to see Fort Mountian (Fort Mountian State park) in Nw Georgia is pretty cool too. It is a stone wall that indian legend say was built by "white gods" long before columbus. Probably Vikings, but no one knows for sure.

If you have never been, Harpers Ferry is worth seeing, and is only a short drive from 81 in Maryland.

And of course there are about 914 civil war battlefields (including Gettysburg and Antietam) not very far from your route.

Zach
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th June 2024 - 02:34 PM