Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> SOT: Buggy Racing, Stock 1600 class
Brando
post Apr 5 2007, 03:41 PM
Post #1

BUY MY SPARE KIDNEY!!!

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,648
Region Association: Southern California

Well, looks like I might get to do some racing this year afterall -- just not in the teener.

GF's dad wants to run his bug in the stock 1600 class of offroad racing, wants a wrench hand/driver and I'll probably be it!

Tonight I have to go over the rulebook. Soon we have to take the engine that's in it out, split the case and do a cam swap (per rulebook spec). We also have to trim down from the dual kadrons that are on there to a Pict 30 -- byebye torque/hp. Everyone in this class is limited, target HP for your engine should be 85-100 with stock everything. Like any good racing team we'll be looking for loopholes (read: not cheating) and probably blueprint the engine in an attempt to achieve the maximum power we can from the little Type 1. Our goal is 100hp.

So far we haven't found any limitation on what kind of gearbox we can use -- so quite possibly we'll go with an early 911 or 912 901 5-speed. This would allow us to gear 1-4 low enough and provide us with a 5th gear for highway cruising to events (we plan to make this street legal as well). We were planning on using a bus box and adapting to the 930 output flanges and complete axles.

Since these types of events and racing is new to me, anyone have some suggestions or ideas to help us get in the right direction?

thanks!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Twystd1
post Apr 5 2007, 06:33 PM
Post #2

You don't want to know... really.....

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,743

Johns pistons ONLY work with his cams. They work like a Larry Widmer (Endyn) setup.

And I assume you need a kinda stock profiled cam. That means you probably can't use a squishy setup.

I just went over to STF for a couple of minutes and checked out some stuff. Brandon... Go spend a couple of hours over there. You will learn more in a day than all of us can teach you specific to your class and how to push the performance envelope for your class.

I B thinking since you can't flow any REAL big flow numbers because of the PICT 30 carb. You are gunna have to build this engine for grunt. Not HP. With gears to match.
m
I am also wondering why you might want to use the 901. I think I would talk the guys at RANCHO and see what they recommend first.

Then surf the net for pics and data as to what the class champions are using.

There are also CVs that have more angle than the 930 CVs. I know a guy that can make you bullet proof axles and CVs. The company is called "Insane Axles". It is one of Jimmy connections.

If your swing arm can travel with a greater degree of arc than the 930s are capable of... You gunna break sumpin.

If you could get Len to help you out as far as head and intake data, and add some of Charles's bad ass cylinders. Add a bit of coatings and cryo.
The appropriate ignition and headers for the combination. Some dyno time.

HHHHmmmmmmm........... Now that I think about this. I know absolutely that there is a trick for those carbs. It has to do with intake manifold and some judicious touching up of the carb base. I think ART THRAEN knows the tricks. You may want to touch base with him on your carb stuff.
You can find him here. ACE Automotive

I also kniow a local builder that builds for this class specificaly as well as other classes. I will go by in the next week or so and give him a chat ands see what I can learn from him.

Sounds like fun Brando.....

Do you guys have any sponsorship?

Clayton
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th June 2024 - 10:31 PM