Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Up the mountain in Tennessee, From Cowan Tn to Sewanee Tn 4/2/7
fat73
post Apr 11 2007, 12:24 AM
Post #1

W9R1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,043
Region Association: South East States

Here's a video shot last week driving from Cowan Tn up the mountain to Sewanee Tn on Hwy 41A. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) Nice wide twisty road ascending about 2000 ft. Some good (but windy at times) sounds from the mid-subie-engined 914. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rocking nana.gif)

Enjoy...

Ed aka W9R1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOo_D5wrmlU

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
cooltimes
post Apr 11 2007, 09:37 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,081
Region Association: None

QUOTE(fat73 @ Apr 11 2007, 01:24 AM) *

Here's a video shot last week driving from Cowan Tn up the mountain to Sewanee Tn on Hwy 41A. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) Nice wide twisty road ascending about 2000 ft. Some good (but windy at times) sounds from the mid-subie-engined 914. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rocking nana.gif)

Enjoy...

Ed aka W9R1

Thanks for sharing. Now that is a road made for a 914. My favorite state too. Is there a way I could get me a copy of your movie? I don't surrender privacy that youtube wants from everyone to fetch a copy there.
I don't understand the lack of people heading into that region more often for a fun time like you had with your 914 on that stretch of 41A. Was that Smoky ahead of you at the end? Nothing like being alone on the road like that. Easy to see where you aren't playing follow the leader.
BTW. I have driven that road a few times too.
Thanks.
Mike Cooley
Oakfield, TN.
+Quote Post
fat73
post Apr 11 2007, 10:04 PM
Post #3

W9R1

Attached Image
QUOTE(cooltimes @ Apr 11 2007, 07:37 PM) *

Enjoy...

Ed aka W9R1

Thanks for sharing. Now that is a road made for a 914. My favorite state too. Is there a way I could get me a copy of your movie? I don't surrender privacy that youtube wants from everyone to fetch a copy there.
I don't understand the lack of people heading into that region more often for a fun time like you had with your 914 on that stretch of 41A. Was that Smoky ahead of you at the end? Nothing like being alone on the road like that. Easy to see where you aren't playing follow the leader.
Thanks.
Mike Cooley
Oakfield, TN.

I won't say WHO was driving but 4th and 3rd gear most of the way up...The cars at the top were doing about 35 so you can guage from that.

The first turn on the bottom was between 90-100. Most of the way it was between 65-80+ or so but could have been much faster. The road was very familiar, but ya gotta be careful ya know.

That road down from Sewanee on hwy 56 to Sherwood is much longer and twister than this but it is one lane and can be very dangerous with one hair pin that's about 190 degrees. There are slide areas with no guard rails. I have a video of that road too but the video is too long to post. There is another road from Monteagle to Pelham which is also two-lane all the way with one big sweeping hair pin called horseshoe curve. There is another road hwy from Tracy City to Jasper on hwy 41, same thing but no huge curves. There is another road hwy 156 from Sewanee to South Pittsburgh. There is another road hwy 50 from Altamont to Pelham, etc...I won't name them all but there are at least 6 roads up there on Monteagle/Tracy City/Altamont area I know of like that with little traffic which means you can wait long enough that nobody's in front of you. If you mapqwest Sewanee Tn you will see all of the smaller roads. Most of those that run north / south in that area are like that. That whole area is mountainous (hillbilly mountains) at about 2200 ft. I can say that because I am one (a hillbilly).

For those of you who like hoofing it, in Tracy City there is the Fiery Gizzard which has a 17 mile hiking trail in Grundy National Forest. That's an awesome place which is like escaping into another world with Sycamore trees that it would take 4 adults to reach around and numerous water falls and cold water pools. Tracy City has kind of been stuck in a time warp since 1972, except for the methheads.

Ed

Oh yeah...and there's some beautiful gals up there too... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

+Quote Post
fat73
post Apr 11 2007, 10:06 PM
Post #4

W9R1

Attached Image
QUOTE(fat73 @ Apr 11 2007, 08:04 PM) *

Attached Image
QUOTE(cooltimes @ Apr 11 2007, 07:37 PM) *

Enjoy...

Ed aka W9R1

Thanks.
Mike Cooley
Oakfield, TN.

I won't say WHO was driving but 4th and 3rd gear most of the way up...The cars at the top were doing about 35 so you can guage from that.

The first turn on the bottom was between 90-100. Most of the way it was between 65-80+ or so but could have been much faster. The road was very familiar, but ya gotta be careful ya know.

That road down from Sewanee on hwy 56 to Sherwood is much longer and twister than this but it is one lane and can be very dangerous with one hair pin that's about 190 degrees. There are slide areas with no guard rails. I have a video of that road too but the video is too long to post. There is another road from Monteagle to Pelham which is also two-lane all the way with one big sweeping hair pin called horseshoe curve. There is another road hwy from Tracy City to Jasper on hwy 41, same thing but no huge curves. There is another road hwy 156 from Sewanee to South Pittsburgh. There is another road hwy 50 from Altamont to Pelham, etc...I won't name them all but there are at least 6 roads up there on Monteagle/Tracy City/Altamont area I know of like that with little traffic which means you can wait long enough that nobody's in front of you. If you mapqwest Sewanee Tn you will see all of the smaller roads. Most of those that run north / south in that area are like that. That whole area is mountainous (hillbilly mountains) at about 2200 ft. I can say that because I am one (a hillbilly).

For those of you who like hoofing it, in Tracy City there is the Fiery Gizzard which has a 17 mile hiking trail in Grundy National Forest. That's an awesome place which is like escaping into another world with Sycamore trees that it would take 4 adults to reach around and numerous water falls and cold water pools. Tracy City has kind of been stuck in a time warp since 1972, except for the methheads.

Ed

Oh yeah...and there's some beautiful gals up there too... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd June 2024 - 06:00 AM