Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> z-block and dial guage, for cam timing
echocanyons
post Apr 15 2007, 02:36 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 7
Region Association: Central California

I need to pick up a few tools to be able to time my cams on my 6cyl. engine.

The z-block seems to be easy to find but I am having a bit of trouble finding a dial gauge. I am guessing it measures cam lift but in metric but what does it measure mm?

Is there a preferred type that will function with the z-block? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wavey.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
burton73
post Apr 16 2007, 07:20 PM
Post #2

burton73

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,414
Region Association: Southern California

You can take you engine to a good shop and let them do the cam timing for you and just pay them for that hour of labor if you are worried. You are right. If you screw that up you are in big trouble. It is always a big concern to me as well and that is what I did on two 911 engines before. On this one I think I will do it my self as I have bought all the tools.
Back then there was not all the on line help. If you take is real slow and take pictures and ask questions you should be OK, but for $100. a shop should time it for you on the back of a pick up truck.

As far as the latest spring tensioners, the factory moved to the oil fed type and I have that on my 86 Carrera cab. Almost 70,000 miles and no problems. Do you have a blow off safety on your CIS box?

Bob
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th June 2024 - 03:51 AM